Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

turbo pipe clean

frank rabbets

Guru
I have cleaned out the aluminium turbo pipe [24 valve] which crosses over the top of the engine. Throttle response is much better especially with slight increases in throttle. Say doing a constant 50 mph you only have to crack the throttle open a bit more for quite a surge in power. I would not say there is an increase in overall power from a standing start up to a constant speed.
The pipe had never been cleaned so had 130,000 miles of accumulated oily carbon gradually getting drier towards the inlet manifold. Inside the manifold there was just dry carbon which I scraped off whilst using a hoover to ensure no carbon went into the inlet ports.
The pipe itself was messy to clean being oily and unhooverable. So I used a long handled spoon from the dining set, those on a low carbon diet will know, and then used a bottle brush and petrol to finish the job off. I ended up with a nice black pebble dash finish to my clothes, hands, face and hair. It will gradually wear off.

Frank.

frank rabbets said:
So I used a long handled spoon from the dining set, those on a low carbon diet will know, and then used a bottle brush and petrol to finish the job off. I ended up with a nice black pebble dash finish to my clothes, hands, face and hair. It will gradually wear off.
Frank.
If you are going to suffer the wrath of SWAMBO
dinosaure.gif
by using the kitchen utensils, why not just put it in the dishwasher and be done with it. :whistle:

frank rabbets said:
I have cleaned out the aluminium turbo pipe [24 valve] which crosses over the top of the engine. Throttle response is much better especially with slight increases in throttle. Say doing a constant 50 mph you only have to crack the throttle open a bit more for quite a surge in power. I would not say there is an increase in overall power from a standing start up to a constant speed.
The pipe had never been cleaned so had 130,000 miles of accumulated oily carbon gradually getting drier towards the inlet manifold. Inside the manifold there was just dry carbon which I scraped off whilst using a hoover to ensure no carbon went into the inlet ports.
The pipe itself was messy to clean being oily and unhooverable. So I used a long handled spoon from the dining set, those on a low carbon diet will know, and then used a bottle brush and petrol to finish the job off. I ended up with a nice black pebble dash finish to my clothes, hands, face and hair. It will gradually wear off.

Frank.

Frank,

I trust you have disabled/blocked off the EGR valves. That's where the carbon comes from and combines with the oil from the breather to form that thick, black crud. With the EGR's not working you'll still get some oil in there but it won't build up and coat everything. I also fitted an oil catcher in the breather when I did mine which cut down the oil getting in there by around 90%.

I have recently disconnected the pipes from the egr valves but shall reconnect for MOT ?
Good idea about the breather pipe but my air filter where the pipe goes to is not oily so I guess I have little blowby.

It was microwave error that caused MY downfall. It was winter and I was putting a bonded screen into a car. The tube of black sealer was stiff so I put it in the microwave having forgotten it was a metal tube. After about 15 seconds I couldn't see through the glass door so out of curiosity opened it only to be met by flashover/fire and acrid black smoke. Had 5 hours of panic before the management returned. Similar to when I pulled a large tree down next to our fibreglass fish pond. It suddenly popped out of the ground but a large root under the pond had brocken the pond in half and pulled the pond out of the ground. 6 hours 9 minutes in which to save all the fish, relandscape the hole for the pond, fibreglass repair the pond and reinstall everything. Made it.It is amazing what one can achieve when under extreme pressure.

Frank

I haven't bothered reconnecting the EGR's for the test for a few years now and it made absolutely no difference at whatsoever. You won't see any oil from the breather in the air filter housing itself as the pipe connects downstream in the airflow. If the oil in the air inlet manifold is not coming from the breather it must be coming from the turbo seals.

Why not remove and blank the EGR completely?

Now where did i put those blanking kits i had :whistle:

IMG00183-20101003-17021.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think there may be oil in the exhaust gases which is not obvious as the exhaust pipe is hot so does not condense the oil. The turbo pipe is cold and therefore any exhaust gas oil coming into the pipe via the egr valves will condense out forming a gell. There is a very small amount of clean oil, perhaps 1 drop, in the vertical rubber pipe from the turbo. I do not know how long turbo seals last ? Can they fail suddenly ?

Frank

Earth strap is to prevent the injection pump becomming the ground between the head and the block. Not sure if it was needed but was well documented on the Aussie sites about shorting out so i figured that it couldn't hurt having it on there.

Ah yes :oops:

There was a batch recently and they all went to Greg at Landcruisers Overland so you could try him first.

If not let me know and we will make some more.

Back