Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Twin Tank Upgrade

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Guys moving swiftly on the list decided to start the twin tank conversion having had a rear home made tank previously. Was looking at a better more professional install hence buying the OEM duel filler neck and dash board switch from Chapelgate (thank you)

My plan is to use this to wire it up to the double solinodes already installed in the engine bay.

Today preceded to firstly undo the single filler neck being one piece all the way down to the plastic rubber hose connected to the fuel tank.

Had to cut the rubber hosing as it’s hardened and hard to take off. Then preceded to take the rear wheel off to access the double filler neck pipes. Then moved on to cut them on the bend with a grinder with ease.

Having for many years a previous problem undelt with was putting fuel in the filler neck. It’s been long on my list to give the filler neck a good clean along with the tank having been used to run SVO for many years.

It was clear it was clogged up badly so used a jet wash to blast it clean. Not perfect as yet but much better than before for now, probably be ok TBH.

My cousin at the garage advised me once installing the rear tank we can use that for running the vehicle whilst filling up the main tank and filler neck with sodium chloride for a while. This would save the hassle of cleaning the main tank just gonna have a look to see if there’s a drain valve tommorrow?

Tommorrow I’m gonna buy some diesel graded hoses and start to put it all back together whilst adding the rear tank too.

Pictures to follow ......

Last edited:
Old rubber hose connected from pipe to main fuel tank changed to new one today. Worthy upgrade for 23 year old one.

83AB9612-04F8-47B6-ADB8-8A99307D45EE.jpeg 34259085-7EA9-4DC5-816F-F9C861B63A2F.jpeg

Was hard to mearsure the cut but roughly weighted it up then was going to make up the slack with the same rubber hose. Preceded to spray the cut metal for rust prevention.

ACE6E301-88E8-4F8C-B5FF-955967744F32.jpeg

Connected the fuel filler neck although lose had to hold it to the exact place of fitment in the hosing and out under the wheel guade to position the pipes and new rubber connections. This was especially tricky and differcult as it had to be perfect. This was a two man job!!

Another obstacle was pushing the hoses on the pipes as the filler neck and adjacent pipe was not compatible with a straight hose so at best was a slight kink there. The small breather pipe was no issue.

5CD39B0B-D0CD-465B-9AA3-CA43BAEB6D7B.jpeg EC2BB79F-CC7B-4A43-88AF-C9951AA7DB43.jpeg

Finally after great struggle everything fitted as best as. The remaining pipe enclosures closed up for now till the rear tank is ready to fit.

8799DF6F-4487-45F4-A468-C9013A14117C.jpeg 56B70098-644B-4874-8394-B25397275B75.jpeg

Last edited:
A repair yesterday and finished up with a freshen up with paint to finish off the cover today.

AC8C6ED2-E136-4EA3-A0D7-392A7F059F38.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice going fella. Looking good. Now you will be able to empty your wallet even faster!

This is only going to be used for expedition trips there Chris with the Romania Visit this year possible to see Clive and the family.

Looking forward to that Dervis, if you can make it.

Again it’s a long journey for you like it is for the UK visitors.

It was good to talk with you on the phone tonight, good luck with your travel plans. :thumbup:

To move to the next step guys having trouble getting a level sender unit to work with my VDO fuel gauge (0-180 ohms) currently in Cyprus. Having found them abroad looking at new types shown here. This and the coastic soda to clean is the only thing left before fitting the rear tank for now.

s-l1600-1.jpg 4DA83EA3-2879-4C6B-BC7F-94D2500DB196.jpeg

Today’s setup guys was to make a suitable pipe from the existing rear fuel tank to the OEM duel filler neck.

Was hard to get it right and had to cut the hoses to the best ability to make it work. Gonna have to get some 45 deg hoses next time to get a better finish when I fit the VDO sender unit for the gauge to work right.

Because the tank was made before for a different setup the outlets were kinda to far back. Made it work for now for the overlanding trip soon thankfully.

633BCCBA-3091-4A40-A362-249194341725.jpeg A1323F0C-6D05-425B-BE8B-44A7EA996A1D.jpeg

Today’s setup guys was to make a suitable pipe from the existing rear fuel tank to the OEM duel filler neck.

Was hard to get it right and had to cut the hoses to the best ability to make it work. Gonna have to get some 45 deg hoses next time to get a better finish when I fit the VDO sender unit for the gauge to work right.

Because the tank was made before for a different setup the outlets were kinda to far back. Made it work for now for the overlanding trip soon thankfully.

View attachment 147872 View attachment 147873

I didn’t think this would come easy Dervis, but you’ve got there, even if it can be improved later. :thumbup:

Guys fitted the OEM sub tank switch into the dash being a nice addiction. Had to fit another small switch so I could switch from one solinodes to another having plumbed both tanks to it.

First testing no leaks and seems to work as expected. More trails needed but thankfully one major job looks finished for now.

Will tidy things up and make some changes when I get the fuel sender fitted next time round.

9680F164-FCB6-4F3F-A4C8-967BDE981542.jpeg

Back