Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Type 1 and Type 2 diesel - 80 Series (HDJ81) 4.2TD VX LTD

Country Flag
united_states
I am in that learning curve phase, homework before buying the above import from Japan.

I have had diesel vehicles, a VW TDI and a MB Sprinter 3500. Both only burned Type 2 diesel.

As the vehicle I seek is old (1994) I am certain it uses Type 1 (as hard as that is to get in Calif. - though readily avail in most of the world, a good thing).

However Type 2 is the common option at your local gas station. Will that work even though it has inferior lubrication properties?

Thank you for your input.

What's the difference between the 2 types of diesel you get? Sulphur content?

The direction is toward Type 2, less pollution (ie sulfur) and the urea treatment the diesel engine provides removes the obvious nasty soot.

Here is what I found online to answer your questions. I am unsure in its accuracy. I thought type 1 is cheaper as there is less refinement. Type 1 has more lubricant properties I thought. SO the mystery continues.

Here in California especially Type 2 is what is found at the local gas station. Farm machinery and large semi's run on type 1 still. The direction is towards Type 2. My question then is does the TD engine in TLC accept Type 2 as I do not recall seeing a Urea container to fill in the engine compartment?

#1 diesel fuel

#1 grade products have less energy components and are more expensive that their chief counterpart, #2 grade products. However, it rarely has problems in cold weather conditions, which is completely the opposite of #2 grade. This is because paraffin (a type of wax) has been removed from the chemical mix. The absence of this chemical allows it to remain in liquid form during the winter months.

#2 diesel fuel
#2 grade diesel fuel is the most readily available at most gas stations throughout the world. This chemical compound holds the highest amount of energy components and lubricant properties in one mixture and offers the best fuel performance available on the market today. Most scientists agree that #2 grade diesel fuel will protect injection pumps, seals, and other important engine parts.

Typically, #2 is less expensive than #1 because it doesn’t require the same depth of refinement to produce for sale. The downside to #2 diesel is its tendency to transform into a thickened gel when the temperature drops. This often leads to hard starts and other complications during winter.

Clarification - if your vehicle is set up according to law to run on Type 2, you can not use Type 1 as it will clog your systems and destroy your exhaust. If you were originally approved for Type 1 (meaning your vehicle predates availability of Type 2), can you use Type 2 without any other devices like the Urea thing. I think so but want to ask.

Find the octane rating of fuel needed for engine type and fuel supplied local to you if you see a cruiser owner go and ask them what fuel they use and where they get it a question does not cost but a new engine surely will there is a lot of knowledge here from many countries but local knowledge will always be better than a guess across the ocean

Back