Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre Heights

Brian S

Country Flag
england
Just put 2 BFG AT KO2s on "The Collie", I've got 2 Avon ATTs on the other axle (what was on there when I bought it, there is still about 7mm of tread on them)
Now when I looked at the tyres from the side, the BFGs looked taller, and they are by 20mm plus :icon-surprised:
They are both 265 70 16, what's going on?
The other 2 will be changed, as they say down here "Dreckly" :D

Not an uncommon occurrence IMO. You can get a similar thing with motorcycle tyres of the same size and different brands but the difference is obviously much smaller.

I'm with tow pack, it's not common and makes little sense to me.

It's understandable with a mix of new vs part worn, but there's often a difference between new vs new too.

I'm not sure that it makes so much difference, but it will make the Centre diff work a bit harder.

My 95 had those Avons on it when I bought it too. I wasn't that happy with them and after about a year I changed to BFGs, I kept the Avons as spares as they still had a fair bit of tread left and noticed the height difference and also the weight, the BFGs being more solid. The other thing I noticed was how much better the 95 felt to drive, ride, handling, traction (both in the wet and dry) all improved and the wear on them is hardly noticeable so far.

Edit. Just found this explanation of the aspect ratio, “The aspect ratio designates the height of the tire, measured from the top edge of the rim to the top of the tire, as a percentage of the width.” with the width measured from sidewall to sidewall. So presumably that means if the sidewall curvature is greater, the tyre will be taller. Or is it still early and I need another cuppa ?

Last edited:
How do you find the road noise with these tyres?

Generally a bit noisier than the Avons on some surfaces, but not a great deal.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah ha, I thought that was what it might've been
I was listening to this noise I hadn't heard before and wondering what it was, or if it might be the tyres
Cheers Flint

Its very common for tyre sizes to differ dramatically between manufacturers even as brand new tyres, often not standing as tall as you might like or hope for. Retread / Re-mould off road tyres are 'usually' taller but again it depends on what carcass was used.

Back