Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre resistance on steering.

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
I've noticed that my 'new' green '96 petrol 80 feels heavier on the steering than my red '94 diesel 80, I assume the steering components would be the same, could it just be down to different tyres :confusion-confused: the '96 has road tyres and the '94 has mud.

I think wheel alignment would make the biggest difference, and after that tyre size, and then tyre pressure.

The petrol has 31" the diesel has 33" both have the same pressure 40lb, I'll get the alignment checked :thumbup:

And the steering stabiliser Chas, on both vehicles - the green may be normal and the red incorrect :lol: Remember - we've seen your driving escapades ;-)

Ah! damper, another thing to check, the green is probably standard, the red has an EMU. Plus I'm beginning to regret some of the pictures I posted :oops: :doh:

My guess = caster! The red one is lifted and the caster may not be back to factory spec. The green is standard, right? And the suspension will likely have settled, so the caster may well be more negative than factory spec. So you probably have trucks sitting either side of factory spec caster settings.

My experience with my sample size of precisely one 80 was that the steering got much lighter when I did the lift, despite adding a new damper and putting on bigger MTs. One thing I did not do was adjust/correct the caster.

Cheers,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:clap: I think you've probably got it there Andrew, the red one is lifted with caster correction :thumbup: , I'll be paying Julian V a visit soon, I'll get him to check it for me.

Back