Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre size

Seamus

Hey guys what size tyres can I get on my 60 it has not got any lift yet and I'm thinking of 285 75 16 on a set of -35mm offset wheels I got off one of our club mates.:think:

235x85x16 on mine but at that offset I had to use 8 inch rims, which are too big really for the 235 (Ihappened to have the tyres already), 285s should be better. You'll find the gearing a bit tall though! I've changed to 4.1diffs now but not driven it with those on yet.

285 or 265

235x85x16 on mine but at that offset I had to use 8 inch rims, which are too big really for the 235 (Ihappened to have the tyres already), 285s should be better. You'll find the gearing a bit tall though! I've changed to 4.1diffs now but not driven it with those on yet.

thanks moggy, I have set of 31x10.5x15 that are a good size in both looks and gearing and the are very close in size to the 265x75x16, I just like the look of bigger tyres as most of us do on our 4x4's I was just wondering if the 285x75x16 that are about the same size as 33's cause any problems catching the body and as you stated gearing is it to high for the truck because if the difference between 285 and 265 means changing the gearing I'll opt for smaller.

love what you are doing with your truck it will be great when finished, I tried to buy the 60 that popped up on eBay a few years back that had been dry store from new because the owner had been taken I'll after ordering it and never drove it and the family had stored it in a warehouse under cover for 20years and while trying to sort the money to buy it they removed it so must of had an offer and like you say I was saying that will do me rust treat it now and I'll keep it for life.

I know the one, 67 miles on the clock. I didn't know the history behind it, I had assumed it had got stuck in a dealers when the 80 came out and they couldn't shift it. I believe it went to a private collector in the end, shame, hope he's an enthusiast. Don't know if anyone knows the whereabouts of it now. I seem to remember the bidding got to about 20k but didn't make the reserve. I wonder how much it went for in the end.

you may find this helpful for comparing tyre sizes.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

when did you get yours, it looks vaguely familiar!! I had one like that a few years ago when I was planning a trip to Africa. It was going to be three vehicles, then it was 2 so I sold it on.

Last edited:
I got the 60 From Warrington it was at a travellers site they got it from a steam rally near Bristol the previous owner had owned it for a long time he was in Yeovil, the story I was given the truck belonged to a Toyota dealership and the Yeovil guy worked there and used it for work then when the garage sold it he bought it. The travellers only owned it for a few months before I bought it just about a year ago.

Trouble is I have very little time to work on it and I'm still looking for somewhere dry to keep it and work on it as just up the side of the house and when I do anything I have to put everything back together and away so very limiting what I can do, still in trouble for the dead patch on the front lawn where I changed the fuel tank and spilt some diesel oops.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Mike if you recall I went to Bens leaving do at Lincomb (when I met you) in a 60 with 255/85/16's on Hilux wheels with spacers. With standard suspension it didn't catch but it raised the gearing noticeably and they were very heavy and you knew it. It also looked wrong, the tyres were too big for the wheel arch. 285's will be too wide in my opinion. What wheels have you got in 16"?

Andy

Go big ones hop it helps tonytoyota :laughing-rolling:

I'm with Tony on this one! I have 33" 's on mine at the moment, admittedly they are a bit too wide. But when you buy your wheel set thats the set you have to run on.

As you said Seamus, you intend to lift your truck... It would be a shame to buy a smaller tyre and then regret it after. Which begs the question "What do you mostly intend to use the truck for?" If you want to do only road work with it, I'd fit a set of the original "Pizza Cutter" wheels on it! Lol

If you buy a suspension lift kit you have the space to fit the bigger tyre, but you may find that when on full articulation your tyres will be in your inner wing. I had seen this happen with one of my Dutch 60 mates. Plenty of height but the tyre grazes the top of the arch. I suggested to him to lower his bump stops to stop this.

With the bigger tyre, instead of regearing. You could fit a turbo kit which would help cut through the higher gearing. Or as Andy advised me to use the automatic gearing with the 3.7 ratio..

To allow me to fit my 33's I have a 65mm body lift which means when the axle meets the bumpstop on full articulation there is still 40mm ish space between the tyre and the top of the wheel arch. Like this:-

pheasant steps 2 005.jpg

Had a bit of an incident! But thatsanother story! :shock: But an experience that shows the dangers of offroading!

Hope the info helps..

the OME heavy duty suspension kit gives 50-60mm of lift.
gears wise you would need 4.1s I would suggest which I think are the ones from the auto, Andy Lomas will know, he sold me a set!!

Back