Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre Wear

frank rabbets

Guru
Hi

I have my "new" 100 all sorted now and have talked to the 1 previous owner. I'm thrilled to bits with it. The shortest journey he ever did was 10 miles. It still has the original batteries which confirms my theory that battery life span is related to use rather than age .

When he first had the vehicle a set of front tyres lasted 12,000 miles. His Toyota mechanic told him that the 100 series front tyres last longer if the steering geometry is set outside the manufacturer's specifications. Any truth in this? Then I can check and adjust accordingly myself ?

The same mechanic has looked after this LC from new; 2004 to present!! Now it's my turn.

Frank

P.S. Pathetic little axle vents on this LC . Blocked with dust sticking to the oil mist.

frank rabbets said:
Hi

I have my "new" 100 all sorted now and have talked to the 1 previous owner. I'm thrilled to bits with it. The shortest journey he ever did was 10 miles. It still has the original batteries which confirms my theory that battery life span is related to use rather than age .

When he first had the vehicle a set of front tyres lasted 12,000 miles. His Toyota mechanic told him that the 100 series front tyres last longer if the steering geometry is set outside the manufacturer's specifications. Any truth in this? Then I can check and adjust accordingly myself ?

The same mechanic has looked after this LC from new; 2004 to present!! Now it's my turn.

Frank

P.S. Pathetic little axle vents on this LC . Blocked with dust sticking to the oil mist.

Hi Frank

Not exactly what you are asking, but many years ago I bought a new car (not a land cruiser or 4x4) but after only
5000 miles the two front tyres were scrubbing the edges off, so went back to the main dealer and was told that the
tracking was within spec, so still not happy, and as the tyres were Michelin, I contacted them, and they sent a expert
(my words) out and checked, and as he said the tracking was spot on to Peugeot's specifications, but he said what sort of driving do we do with the car, I replied mainly round town, and a bit of motorway driving, and he said "the tracking should be set to Parallel " now as it was under warranty he said he would write to Peugeot and see what they say, which I got a reply that they would set to parallel and fit a new set of tyres (well two front) and yes you have guessed it made no difference, so my first call was back to the Michelin man, who said he would meet me at a local tyre place, he then rechecked the tracking and found that the main garage had not even adjusted it, so he did the adjustment him self as I had not left it too long we swapped the front to back tyres and never had a problem again !

So you might have a point, but you say the guy only got 12K out of the fronts, Mine is a 2004 and after about 2000 miles I changed mine to BFG's and done about 31K so nearly 30,000 miles and still got 10mm tread left, although I do swap them around.

Has it still got the original 18" wheels ? as I have changed mine to 16" wheels (only as you could not get BFG's for 18s at the time) and I don't know why but I feel the 100 drives better on the 16s than the 18s 9and the 18s did have a bit of edge scrub wear on Grand Tecks, and defantly no edge ware with the BFG;s

Hope that is of some help

Wearing the edges out on the fronts seems to be common on them so I could easily believe you could do better!

Hi Steve
Yes it has original 18 inch wheels with 5 studs. I have an 80 with 16 inch wheels but they have 6 studs.
The 80 had done 30,000 miles and I adjusted the tracking which was towing in slightly. It's now done 127000 miles on 2 sets of Mich' LTX.
I think the new tracking machines are more complicated than necessary and beyond the understanding of their operators. I have used string all my life and have never had scrubbed tyres.
Having said that, the inside front tends to scrub on most cars on it's outside as you hold the steering wheel turned slightly to the right to compensate for the camber. However the inside of the offside tyre seems unaffected probably due to the steering camber compensating, whereas on the inside wheel the camber makes it worse. If this happens I adjust so that the car tracks out slightly more than recommended. Also I rotate wheels.
Our neighbour had his audi checked and adjusted when he had 2 new tyres fitted. They scrubbed out on their insides in 5000miles and the tracking was out by a mile. On complaining the garage said he must have hit something. Well he hadn't of course.

Thanks
Frank

Back