Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyres, years ago.

frank rabbets

Guru
My Dad was workshop foreman and lorry driver for United Dairies back in the 20's. He told me their tyres were not bought but rented from Dunlop. Every tyre had a serial number and Dunlop gave my Dad a ledger which he had to keep up to date including monthly records of mileage, tread depth and pressure readings as, in effect, he was looking after their tyres. Dunlop would send a rep unannounced to do a spot check on each lorry even including front tracking, having brought his own tracking gauge with him. Well I hope this story rings someones bell.

I've been out of trucking for a decade but when I was driving continental Michelin operated a rental system ( around the turn of the century) and later when working for the supermarkets their tyres were rentals although I have no knowledge of the reps aspect. Bandag and the other retread companies keep records because they can only retread a certain number of times before the carcass is scrapped.

Most of the major bus companies operate the same system went for a job down in Hastings at a depot job was with Michelin when you are out and about have a look at the rear axle on buses and if they have a milometer bolted to the back axle then the tyres are more than likely to be rented

Yes, where i work the lorry tyres are on contract too, Bridgestone the primary make and despite being up to max weight when loaded tyre failure itself is unheard of, no remoulds used.
The tyre company who look after us do a sterling job, we have a dedicated fitter who is often lurking about and does the vast majority of the fleet fitting at my head office depot, not often do you need to bring anything to his attention because he keeps notes of what tyres will need renewing in the forseeable.

Back