Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyres......yeh again.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
Normally threads like this run the 'what is better for climbing the Alps with a caravan in tow?', slightly different slant this one.

Punctures are rare these days, in fact safe to say very rare, purchasing a new car to find it does not even have a space for a spare is testament to this but, punctures in tyres meant for off road use are even rarer, especially when not used off road, until last December I had not had a puncture for, I cannot remember how far back.

Anyone noticed a high incidence of punctures on Toyo Open Country?

When I got the LC it was fitted with Coopers at one end and another brand at the rear which I cannot remember but, none of the tyres got punctures...ever. When it came to replace them I searched for my favourite BF Goodrich which, IMO has been one of the leaders in the off road market for years. Unable to source a set I went for Toyo open country. Four new tyres and I was happy, they were (still are) quiet but, punctures...bloody punctures WTF?

In the last two months I have had not one but FOUR punctures, the fourth found this morning when preparing to adjust the handbrake after Decembers brake overall. Still around 3/4mm of tread left and the punctures are spread across three tyres. First was a bolt, this was mentioned when I wrote about the seized spare wheel winch, there was a puncture in another tyre found during rotation, I did not want a repaired tyre on the front, so here I am with IMO an unprecedented amount of punctures, a bolt, a screw and two odd pieces of metal which are unidentifiable.

They will be replaced before the summer and I must dig out the bill and see just how many miles they have done, I bet it is nowhere near the mileage of the BFG's.

Is it possible the Toyo's are more susceptible to puncture as they age than other brands?

regards

Dave

A tale of woe there Dave, can't say I can comment on the Toyo's, but I've been running GGATs and BFGKM2s without a puncture in the last errrrm, 6 or 7 years.

My my only incident was popping a rear off its bead when pitched at a particularly scary angle, catching a rock just at the wrong time, you know how it is.

Someone will be along in a moment to tell you they never puncture, and it's all down to a witches curse you got for cutting someone up (unintentionally) or some such... :lol:

I had a spate of punctures during 1979. Land rover with cross ply tyres. Talk about a cluster effect, 7 in 7 weeks.

My 80 has done 145,000 miles now and has never had a puncture.

Have always run BFG AT's on all my Hilux's. When I got the landcruiser we had a puncture in the first 2 weeks on new BFG KO2's. The tyre guys put it down to towing a heavy trailer with low pressures with lots of wheel spin? But have been fantastic since.

Not too sure what tyres I had on my 90 series when I first bought it, but they picked up punctures very easily. When I changed the wheels to low profile stuff, I never picked up any punctures for 10+ years.

So yeah, sometimes worth paying more for good rubber!

Back