Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Upper rear lights

DH. as said, was thinking of using led bulbs, which take minimal power and shouldn't overload any systems.
However, I have standard spare bulbs in garage, so will try those first, as the original system coped with upper and bumper lights working together.
Yer, initially was going with Karl's suggestion of using tow bar connections in cubby, but that means extra wiring across lc to o/s. I think I will go from bumper lights as stated, which are a direct vertical route each side, and means I can make up 2 looms both the same. My stumbling point at the moment is finding the correct contacts to go into the original multi connector on the back of the centre upper light fitting either side, which are one end of home made connecting loom. See Karl's photos for those extra wires going into connector.
There are so many sizes, seemingly dictated by stranded cable gauge only, namely, Molex, Metra, du Pont.etc
As per my reply to Graham, who seems to have had it easier than us, I have sorted the rigid connector wires between backs of said lights, and the missing contacts on those lights, to complete the circuit.

Few more pics of the indicator bulb holder and its contacts

Attachments

• 20201011_133124.jpg
    20201011_133124.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201011_133138.jpg
    20201011_133138.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201011_133347.jpg
    20201011_133347.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201011_133310.jpg
    20201011_133310.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201011_133317.jpg
    20201011_133317.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201011_133031.jpg
    20201011_133031.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201011_133131.jpg
    20201011_133131.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201011_133038.jpg
    20201011_133038.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 30
Well done Karl, and many thanks for your extra legwork
From your extra pics, there is deffo only 1 bulb contact in my indicator bulb holders as discussed, and the contacts around the perimeter of yours appear to be different in spacing/width. So even though I have added the extra contacts and link wires on the back of the light units, they are not going to work, as thought.
It all seems to hinge now on getting the correct indicator bulb holders from Mr T as per your given part numbers on here. All other connections/ contacts/bulb holders appear to match up with original and extra link wires/ contacts I have installed. Will be in touch, thanks again.

/tractionman. Thanks for the update. It’s still on my list of things to complete but (as for you) work and bad weather getting in the way! Hopefully be able to share some good news on progress before too long.

For sure DH. Some of the work has been done, with karl2000 input we worked out what is what with parts and wiring. Gen. link wires have been added to both lights, from another source, and 2 Gen. Bulb holders with both contacts for lights/ brake, from Toyota parts, the extra looms are in garage awaiting fitment, and a source/route decided for these. I managed to get the terminals that go in the white connectors on the back of each light,they need to be crimped to new extra wiring. Just need to find which space in the connectors they go.
Waiting for new multimeter now as old cheapo is u.s. Thanks again to Karl 2000, for source.
Have only ever found scant info on this, as several people say they have done it, but they don't include exactly what they have done, or what/ everything used. As with other people's projects, mine is dependant on weather, but will post again when done, with full parts/ instructions. Cheers.

@Tractionman
Resurrecting this thread as the weathers getting better and will hopefully get some time over the next few weekends to take another look and see if I can get this working. Have you managed to make any further progress yet?

On a slightly different note: I’m keen to get the upper lights working as thinking of replacing the rear bumper with a steel one (which will not have the extra lights). Hoping that if I do it’ll go through the MOT as all the lights will work and not convinced MOTer would fail due to the rear wheel as long as all of them work

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got tired of explaining why my 90's upper lights were mostly duds at m.o.t time and i'd had the truck about 5 years before one m.o.t tester insisted i had to fit an aftermarket rear fog light about 16 years after its first m.o.t :crazy:

If it fails just drive it to the garage next door .

@Shayne Agree MOTs are always a bit of a lottery.

Once had my motorbike fail as it didn’t have a rear red reflector, then stuck a small round one on the number plate which couldn’t have been much bigger than a 5p piece and it passed. If anyone knows how that makes it safer then they are a better man than me!

I still don’t get the extra low bumper rear lights just because if the door is open it obscures the offside ones slightly. Are they saying that a small glow of red (which is all you get on sidelights) is visible to other vehicles BUT a whopping large truck is not? sorry but if you can’t see a land cruiser parked at the side of the road then I think it’s you that should not be on the road

Like you say, take it straight to another and you get a different result. Not sure though if they check previous MOTs now - with it all be computerised and what not.

Like you say, take it straight to another and you get a different result. Not sure though if they check previous MOTs now - with it all be computerised and what not.

I doubt they check previous ones - not normally anyway. I've had MOT advisories (on other motors, not LC) just disappear from year to year with nothing being done to address them if I didn't think it was a problem.

If they checked I think the advisories would just stay there...

Maybe an MOT tester can tell us for sure!

Back