Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Use of H, HL and LL?

kzj90nz

Hi guys,

I've just bought a KZJ90 to use for a construction project in an alpine area.

I could do with some clarification regarding the use of H / HL and LL.

Is the transfer case meant to be easy to shift through when the car is running and in park? Mine is really reluctant to go through the different modes - is there a release mechanism that I've overlooked?

Does everyone generally use HL when it's raining? Anything to be weary of when that mode is selected - ie handling / braking / fuel usage?

How does everyone select HL? Can you do it as you're driving?

If you're towing do you use H or HL and hit the PWR button?

I know that you need to be stopped and in park/neutral to select LL.

Thanks a lot!

H = high gearing for normal driving on hard ground rain or shine .
HL = high gearing locked centre diff for high speed with poor traction , on snow or mud or gravel maybe .
LL = low gearing and locked centre diff for extreme off road .

Its a full time 4x4 so all of the above applies with or without a trailer .

Good stuff - I'll print that out and put the instructions in the truck in case I forget, or if friends/family use it :)

The transfer lever won't be as easy to shift as a normal manual box, or your auto. It will be a touch more clunky, but shouldn't need a huge force either. Just be careful about using HL on dry smooth tarmac.. the transmission won't like it for extended use. It's for loose surfaces as Shayne says

as above, + change to LL only when standing still and gearstick i Neutral. When changing from LL to High range, you can roll at walking speed, as long as gearstick is in Neutral.

Back