Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Valve cover breather pipe loose - 24 valve engine

james-c

Garage
Country Flag
namibia
Hi all,
The metal pipe to which the rubber breather pipe is attached on the valve cover feels loose if you wiggle it and the engine is leaking a little oil around the joint.

Is this normal? or is there a oil seal or something that has disintegrated? I can't seem to find a diagram of the cover contraction..
I just want to get some pointers, otherwise I'll have to take the cover off tomorrow and have a look. Maybe check the valve clearances while Im at it too.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks James

IIRC the pipe is a 'press fit', if it is loose you should be able to gently pull it out and clean it up and refit using perhaps metal adhesive or similar. I not eh cover is a RPITA to remove on the 24 valve but it might be work it to a, check nothing has broken off inside and b, to ensure no sealant gets in side and..........c, hey why not adjust the tappets whilst in there?

regards

Dave

Ok, I finally got some time to take the valve cover off. Why on earth did Toyota place a bolt right at the back behind the cover... :eusa-snooty:

Anyway, it seems that a rivet worked a little loose resulting in the pipe moving around a bit. I just used some metal glue on the inside and outside joint to seal it and hold it in place. Seems to work - no oil leaks after a 220mile trip. :dance:

20140525_144309.jpg20140525_150723.jpg

Checked my valve clearances at the same time - all of them were out (gap too narrow). Engine feels much more responsive now, not sure if it actually is or if i'm just imagining it.

There was a lot of crud buildup in the intake manifold section which stretches over the engine - it looked like oily soot :think:. I presume this comes from the EGR system. Is this normal?

There was a lot of crud buildup in the intake manifold section which stretches over the engine - it looked like oily soot :think:. I presume this comes from the EGR system. Is this normal?

Yes, this is 'normal' on just about every TD engine with an EGR system that I've ever seen. If you disconnect/disable the EGR bit you'll still be getting oil in there but it won't mix with the particulates in the exhaust gases and form the sticky crud that clings to the inlet tract. You can cut the amount of oil being blown into the inlet by fitting an air/oil separator in the breather pipe.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks, whats the advantage of the EGR system ( other than reducing emissions)? And what are the consequences disconnecting the egr?

Thanks, whats the advantage of the EGR system ( other than reducing emissions)? And what are the consequences disconnecting the egr?

Other than reducing emissions....none. The consequences are that you are, theoretically, increasing your emissions but I've had mine disabled for years, as I did on my previous Disco, without any issues, either in running or at MOT time. Some people have reported slightly better fuel economy with no EGR but can't say s I've noticed myself.

I found this interesting article on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation
My main concern from the article is that EGR introduces carbon particles into the cylinders which cause additional wear on the parts.

How do you disable the EGR? Do you just pull off the electric sockets on the vacuum valves?

Disconnecting the plugs will disable the EGR but brought up an ECU fault when I tried it on mine. The EGR valves are operated by vacuum. Easiest way to disable them is to disconnect and plug the small vacuum hoses feeding them and leave the plugs connected. This leaves them electrically connected so the ECU still 'sees' them as working OK.

I did this with my LC a couple of years ago with no undue effect.

2010-04-29_1010367.jpg

This shows he tubes to connect together.

Back