Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Valve cover

andyw

Country Flag
uk
Bit of a silly question this, but I am trying to do the valve clearance on my cruiser, got all the gubbins off around the head but cannot get the plastic top cover off, have removed 4 bolts that I thought held it down, so are there any that I have missed.

Ok that problem is sorted, thought it was a plastic cover over the rocker cover, but it was metal,, and it was stuck on with foam sound deadening type stuff, Many thanks to Julian Voelcker and Andy Harvey for phoning me.

Now the next problem is that either the gaps are far to tight, which might be why it rattles, or that you need special feeler gauges, but they will not fit between the adjuster and the stem.

Andy, if the 1HD-FTE is the same as the 1HD-FT (which I think it is) you don't need special feeler gauges.

It is a bit of a fiddle getting them in (yours could be too tight though, as suggested) try slackening the adjuster off & then insert the gauge & tighten back down.

Make sure you don't put torque onto the rocker, you need to brace it when loosening & tightening up.

Yes they are the same, I didn't spend much time on it as it was getting dark, and it had taken me ages to get that far, I only tried checking No1 cylinder and they seemed pretty tight, couldn't get a feeler gauge in, so am going to slacken them off and re-adjust them all, it's a bit confusing having two lock nuts and adjusters on one valve.

andyw said:
it's a bit confusing having two lock nuts and adjusters on one valve.

Yes you're right. It's a bit daunting at first, even getting to the point where you can get the rocker cover off is a bit of an epic having to remove all the vacuum piping & inlet.

Once you've done a couple though it's pretty easy, you have to adjust the bridge adjuster & the valve.

All done and running, and once I had found the knack of getting the feelers in all valves were slack, had to stand on a box after getting to number 4 cylinder, then lay over the engine for number 6, runs a lot better now, not sure if it was the valves or the timer control valve that I changed at the same time, but it doesn't rattle so much when cold, just need to sort my back out now.

Thanks for all the advice guy's.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back