Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

End of season maintenance planning.

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
I have an oily leak from the rocker cover (I think) and my car has just hit 150k, so planning some reasonable maintenance at the end of the the summer.

Tbelt and WP was done <10k miles ago
Just done oil/filter + Air.
Diff fluids, transmission done
Plus loads of other stuff.

Currently planning:
Inlet manifold clean
Rocker cover gasket (investigation and replace)
Replace all 6 injection lines

Whilst it's all appart anything else I should do? Refurbished injectors?
Valve clearances?

Also going to have fitted a new SS 3" exhaust system turbo back.

Other than the exhaust, planning on having a go myself. Read a post about the clearances being challenging to get your head around the process.

Hi Chris,

Regarding the exhaust its a good idea in my opinion. I got mine from Cybox which are well regarded. I think JW got one as well but modified his for better clearance. One thing to note though is that the rear section won't fit with a long range tank, I had to get a rear section made to suit which cost me another £260. The difference on pickup is noticeable straight away.

Is there a case for fitting new injector pipes?

@AndycruiserguyLomas i am planning on having the exhaust made to exit mid way to allow for the N4 long range tank, when I save up the project funds (new rear springs, uprated brakes to be done at the same time)

No case for the injector pipes, but as they have to come off might as well put new ones on with the mileage done.

Quite like the way Sam has done his 80, with it just turned down just in front of the rear wheel and sitting virtually flush with the chassis rails.

Not the best photo but you get the idea.

20230610_142405.jpg

According to good practise, it is time to change the injection pipes and have the nozzles refurbished/checked/changed. Make sure you get the right nozzles, as there was a change in 2002/2003 (different pressures, spray pattern and IP control). There is a number engraved on each nozzle which the diesel shop can use to find the right, original replacement. You also probably have copper washers/seals on the injectors, which can get stuck in the hole. It's good to get them out sooner rather than later -- The new type is slightly firmer and less likely to get stuck.

For valve clearances, the FSM has a good write-up. Just follow the recipe. It looks like the 1HD keeps the valve clearances very well over time, but you will likely have some small discrepancies. Just be structured in your planning, maybe keep a check list for each step, especially if you have any kids, dogs, neighbours or wife around to pull you off track.

If you do go in there, it is good to do everything in one go to minimise the work. Make sure to have new return pipe washers ready, and maybe even a spare set. They are definitely impossible to reuse after being tightened, and a leak on the return is normally not immediately discovered.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My back wheel definatly gets hotter with the exhaust exiting in front of it and that wheel and tyre is always blacker

@uHu what do you mean by (or a part number would be great)
Make sure to have new return pipe washers ready, and maybe even a spare set. They are definitely impossible to reuse after being tightened, and a leak on the return is normally not immediately discovered.
Thanks

@uHu what do you mean by (or a part number would be great)
This one, called Gasket (diamond-shape in front), shaped like a double gasket for a banjo fitting, shown at the top of the nozzle assembly, with a screw through it:

1687983978477.png

In the parts catalogue it's called GASKET(FOR HOLDER & NOZZLE SET), 90904-30006 (marked with colour rectangle) (there are 6 of them):

1687984329507.png

Iirc, there is also some kind of seal between the return "collector pipe" (called Nozzle Leakage Pipe on the drawing) and the pipe that exits the head cover.

Back