Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VED increases.

Juddian

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Daughter mentioned last night about her VED bill having risen by some £100 when she retaxed her car.
Just had a poke nose on the .gov website, and sure enough she's right.
The highest band now up to £585 if you pay the whole 12 months in one lump

The highest band but regd before 23rd March 2006 still keeps the lower rate but is now £340, so thats what most of us with older LC's regd after 2001 will pay, those after 23rd March 2006 regd in the highest bands now £585.
Thankfully being dual fuel our Subaru qualifies for the discount so a bargainous £575.
I never watch live telly or listen to radio news propaganda and havn't bought a newspaper for decades so hadn't heard about these rises, maybe you lot already knew.

The movement to tax us out of our ICE cars has begun, fuel tax rises next or penalties for daring not to obey intructions to buy a battery car?

Shocking!!! That's why we hang on to our Skoda Fabia... £20 a year to Tax.... And they cant Change That, Our Ford Fusion was also £20 a year...... Those £20 a year Cars are holding their Money well..... A while ago we went to look at a Toyota Yapiss. I think it was a 2 cylinder 0.1 litre. And the road Tax was shockingly high for such a tiny thing..... 'Mind you' even if it was free Tax we would never have bought it.. What a dreadful, Sad, Characterless, Pile of rubbish it was :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 1997 80 series is cheaper to tax and insure than her 2001 90 series .

All our1943-44 vehicles are tax exempt so free...... didn't stop them sending me a notice intending to fine me for not taxing one of them....

Last edited:
Its made us think too, we'll carry on with the 120 for the forseeable, Mrs uses it all the time and to be honest i want her and the dogs in something robust because of all the idiots on the road.
Few recent instances i won't go into, but two of my (completely innocent) colleagues are alive though one seriously hurt one just shook up where in both cases the road crash expert officer told them had they not been in tough 4x4's the outcomes would have been dreadful, someone else i know their young life has been utterly ruined due to pissed and drugged up (now late) dickhead.
Luckily our cruisers if and when taxed off the road have export possibilities to Africa.

Forester we'll keep another year whilst its £575 but if it heads off towards £1000 as i suspect it will then sooner or later it will make more sense for me to retire which would mean we can flog the Foz, i could retire now but still enjoy my work, however not going to carry on grafting just to support Rishi's ring piece as it magics ever more £millions for the present lunatics to piss up the wall.

I never understood why it was cheaper to Tax the 1997 80, Than it was to Tax my old C15 Citroen Van :confusion-shrug: ...... Only by a few Quid, But it was cheaper

Try living in the Isle of Man - roads are an absolute disgrace and the road tax rates are arbitrary at best - 80 series is over £500 at present and the Hilux is £350 odd... and they're talking of re-organising the system to make it based on vehicle weight (as they've just realised that all these BEVs are paying no tax, so the system is unsustainable as more people move to theoretically cleaner vehicles).

Its all a complete shit-show....

and they're talking of re-organising the system to make it based on vehicle weight (
I think road tax in IOM is actually used to maintain roads? In which case that seems to make sense. Is that all that is spent on roads in IOM or do non-vehicle owners subsidise roads too like in the rest of the UK?

Technically its vehicle duty, not road tax, or so they keep telling us. So it all goes into a big pot and then gets handed out accordingly.

But Shayne's correct, it seems the IOM Govt is mostly interested in ill-thought-out vanity projects (like the Douglas Promenade - google "roundels" if you want a real giggle) and trying to keep the tourism industry afloat, so that means the TT course gets some attention.

In the meantime they want to move to BEVs, but most of the Island's energy comes from a dirty great power station (oops); also we can aim to reduce our carbon footprint by encouraging "active travel" - which means miles of cycle lanes that no one uses, as the weather here is not conducive to using bicycles to commute anywhere on, unless you want to arrive looking like you've jumped out of the shower fully clothed.

All this, whilst wanting to get more people over on holiday, using planes and boats to get them here, of course. Which, incidentally, means throwing vast sums of money to Liverpool to allow the IOM boats to dock safely, as apparently the IOM Govt can't employ some decent lawyers to negotiate contracts properly - they took water pistols to a gun fight, apparently, so now we all get to pay for it - Yay!

Oh, and in other news... they are continuing to give permission to big developers to build big housing estates on greenfield sites miles away from where anyone works, so people will need to drive to get to work, as the public transport is shockingly badly organised and doesn't cover big chunks of the Island.

So.. in summary - they have no idea what they're doing, are completely disjointed in their approach to emissions and environmental targets, and in the meantime everyone (including the green brigade) will be taking it up the jacksee.

Rant over.

I'll get off my soap box now... <sigh>....

they took water pistols to a gun fight
I think not , virtually everyone qualified and competent in Manx law is paid a retainer by the gov , and never in my memory has any gov project come in less than 3 times over budget . Its a gravy train they don't even attempt to hide . 10 of millions vanish every year and they have to account to nobody .

Little Peggy will end up in a derelict stable belonging to lord muppet who will first gift the stable to his granddaughter who walks away with a 4 million cash gift from the tax payer . That leaves a million to make the stable pretty , and of course the four men who actually move the boat will have to be paid minimum wage for an afternoons work .

There is a white Amazon with fancy stripes and Saudi reg' plates that parks down the road, half on the pavement. Opposite side of the road is a typical local off licence come grocer come news agent. So whilst full of cold and in need of sucking on a fishermans friend, oh er mrs, I went in said shop to make my purchase and enquire about the Amazon, after all, the shop owner is muslim and there is also a taxi rank hq office. He told me that the owners of said Amazon are Saudi, they are students at the University, own an oil well and have parked there in a Parking Permit place for three years. Twice a day, it would receive parking tickets but now the parking office has given up. He just rolled his eyes disapproving. So I told him that I now own one and was thinking about fitting Saudi Plates to get out of paying road tax. He kind of nodded his head.
The point of this thread is;- There is a Saudi Registered Amazon that lives on a street and pays nothing. There is also a large V8 Nissan Patrol knocking around on Saudi Plates. This could be the future for getting out of paying VED, register your Landcruiser in Saudi.
Just a thought.

Don't worry the Saudis/Russians/Chinese/ <insert_your_preferred_foreign_power> own most, if not all, of the UK - so they can park anywhere they damn well like, and for long as they damn well like.

It's just us stupid taxpayers that have to make sure we've paid our VED and our parking tickets!

Back