Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Very clear parasitic drain

Result :icon-cool:

Battery pack, poss the remains of a tracker or something in there too.

Jeepers…!! That's amazing that lot could be hidden!! Glad you found it. Well done that man. [emoji2]

Nice one! I bet the truck feels better for that.

doubt it's a tracker Gary this is a 22 year old installation. There were two transformers and all sort of other communications boxes with aerial wires and things. I had the dash out, all the rear panels and the carpet up. Found 10p though. Just kept finding more and more. Also found the double tow wiring though. Left that in.

Ha ha well yes TP, it's lighter if nothing else. You should have seen what I pulled out previously that was in the rear OS quarter.

Wow, can't believe all that was buried in there. Result !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's some parasite Chris, longer than any tapeworm! :lol:

Good to hear you've (probably) cracked it :thumbup:

Holy smokes. I bet you're glad it didn't smoke.

I just can't figure out why you didn't look there first, would have saved you a stack of time. :icon-biggrin:

Isn't it past your bed time?

Glad you got that lot out - even if it has zip to do with the issue (unlikely given what you've checked) it's good to get rid of all that sort of crap that may just cause issues when you're miles from help or home...

Seems to have gone Gary. I put a volt meter across the two batteries that came out and they were pretty much dead. The other bits of wiring seemed to have some form of charging circuit so I guess it's been desperately trying to charge these dead batteries. Still is the best 80 I have ever driven. And now it has a beautiful new cassette player in there. With a radio too. And yes the electric aerial works flawlessly too.

Lol. Aerial. Oh yes - I'll be attending to that in due course as I have an after market wire coat hanger I think. But I'm mostly using bluetooth audio so no biggie.

Glad it's sorted! We do NOT need another fiasco on the drive thank you ;)

Good work Chris, well done for getting to the bottom of it. :clap:

Bet your motor will get more mpg now and you get to weigh the wires in at scap yard,glad you got it sorted.

Indeed. Might buy me half a litre of City diesel. I have to say I feel tremendously happy having got rid of that lot. And.... the OEM cassette player plugged in and worked straight away! Even the Sub Woof works. Badly.

Newbie here, as a matter of interest have you measured the voltage drop since removing that web??

Been a couple of weeks since the surgery and so far the batteries are holding their charge just fine. No loss over a week. Starts on the button. I have to say if it wasn't that lot that I pulled out then I had no more ideas left as to what it might have been.

Having just caught up on this post now..... I think I might need to start looking for any gremlins I might have buried away. I used to get a relay chatter noise from the rear but that was solved when I removed the fuse to the caravan(?) split charger. I wonder what else is hiding away.....

Just read this, as I'm new to this forum, a mate of mine is a car dealer and they just cut any exposed wires and tuck the ends under fascias and carpets, they don't bother to remove anything....that's why I always remove dash and covers when I get a new vehicle...

Remind me not to buy a car from them then BP. [emoji33] that's horrendous and could cause no end of faults or at worst a fire. Appalled.

Last edited:
Back