Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Virgin Off-roader

fridayman

Garage
Hi all -

I am new to this site (been lurking for a couple of weeks). I recognise some names from another site... :)

I'm currently looking for a LC to drive from UK to Oz with my wife and 18 month old (probably departing Aug 2012). It is probably a good idea to buy it sooner rather than later (i.e. now) to give me time to get to know it and to do all the necessary mods. I will be taking it to Julian (who pointed me here) to get the work done. Anyway, ant tips and advice for a trip like that is always welcome.

Et

Welcome to the club.

Tell us more about which model you are thinking about.

Where are you based?

I would definitely book yourself onto the Lincomb 2 weekend in October. There you can get first hand advice, learn to handle your vehicle off road, explore its limitations and get an insight into basic vehicle first aid and recovery techniques. All in a safe and supported environment surrounded by nothing but Land Cruiser!
Then round the campfire chat with others who have driven that path before you.
It's also a great place to try out any vital kit such as tents, tyres and tin-openers before you go.

Chris

Well my KTM sold this afternoon, so I now have £7000 to spend. I'm looking for either an 80 or a 100, and would prefer if it had less than 150k miles on it. If I spend the full £7k on the truck now I won't have any money to mod it for a while, or I could spend less on the truck and start modding straight away. I am based in Woking (Surrey).

Lincomb sounds very interesting!

Welcome to the forum

150k is still very young for an LC, if I were you I would disregard the mileage and look at the vehicle itself as mileage is irrelevant if all is in order (at least for the 80)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are you after a manual or an automatic model?
If you keep an eye out you will find the perfect 80/100 for your trip, don't just buy the first one that comes into budget.

Are you handy with the spanners yourself? That will make modding whichever LC you get a fair bit easier and it will make servicing a lot easier. I'm an idiot when it comes to mechanics and all the basic stuff I managed by myself, I was only stumped by how to remove the sixth spark plug (needed some kind of bizzare bendy tool) and a collapsed wheel bearing.

I presume you are after a diesel? I drove an 80 24v diesel manual earlier this year and was very impressed but I only did 400 miles and it was mostly motorway. My currenty 80 is a petrol model and MPG isn't so clever, but I'm keeping this one and the more time I spend with it the more I like it. The 80 is very well built and solid. Offroad is very impressive the only thing that lets it down is the wheelbase but you can't get all the crap you'll need to an Overland trip to OZ in a Suzuki Jimny or LR90.

I've driven a couple of 100 V8s but only on tarmac and they drive a lot more car like than the 80, part of the appeal of the 80 for me is the way it feels like it's some kind of bus/truck.

You'll find lots of help from this forum throughout your process of getting from here all the way out to OZ, with your LC and family in tow of course!

Thanks guys. I am after a diesel, manual if one comes up, but wouldn't mind an automatic. What other criteria do you think I should have to choose the right one?

I'm fairly handy with a set of spanners, but mostly on bikes. I know nothing about diesels... I am happy to have a go at most things though.

I don't know much about 100 series but if you go for an 80 make sure it has got diff locks.
All UK supplied cars do but the imported ones don't have diff locks. Without lockable axles the 80 is pretty capable but if a wheel comes off the ground and you loose movement, simply flick a switch and carry on motoring.

Test the diff accuators. If they aren't working properly they are about £900 from a dealer but as everyone will tell you they can be had for a lot less if you speak to the right person.

You are probably going to want to upgrade the suspension, I've been doing some research for my 80 and I've settled on the Old Man Emu springs/shock and steering damper upgrade. Depending on your route through to Oz you may wish to get an aux fuel tank, maybe not so much with a diesel as you must get 400 miles to a tank or something? But having an extra 120 litres could come in useful! Especially if you go through Iran where it'll cost you about $1 to fill up a 215 litre LC twin tank system!

Some imports have FR difflocks but they are rare. AFAIK all UK 80 series have FR difflocks as standard.

Hi fridayman

Welcome to the forum!
If possible go for a diesel, lots of torque and better if economy plays a big role.

Hope you find a great Cruiser soon!
;) ;) ;)

African Drifter

24Seven said:
James Rothwell said:
All UK supplied cars do but the imported ones don't have diff locks.

Is that correct?

As Rob said, it was an option on the imported models and a rare one at that, but on UK vehicles for whatever reason they came with lockers standard.

Just check they are working when you buy your truck - if not (like mine) negotiate a substantial discount (unlike me) as they are costly to replace... :-(

Gavlad said:
Just check they are working when you buy your truck - if not (like mine) negotiate a substantial discount (unlike me) as they are costly to replace... :-(

In case I travel a long distance to see one and they don't work - what sort of money are we talking here?

Well main dealer is about £700 each I think, that's all the seller needs to know. You can get OEM ones from Ian Rubie for a more reasonable price. PM him for a price.

Rob said:
Well main dealer is about £700 each I think, that's all the seller needs to know. You can get OEM ones from Ian Rubie for a more reasonable price. PM him for a price.

I think it's more like £900 inc VAT at the moment from Toyota?

Another vote for Ian Rubie. Much cheaper getting them from him!

fridayman said:
Well my KTM sold this afternoon, so I now have £7000 to spend. I'm looking for either an 80 or a 100, and would prefer if it had less than 150k miles on it. If I spend the full £7k on the truck now I won't have any money to mod it for a while, or I could spend less on the truck and start modding straight away. I am based in Woking (Surrey).

Lincomb sounds very interesting!

What KTM did you sell? £7000 says a late 990 and as you're looking at 'cruisers I'll guess an Adventure. Fine m/c. I have a 2003 950 Adv in the garage... finest two wheels I've owned.

Dave Burgess said:
What KTM did you sell? £7000 says a late 990 and as you're looking at 'cruisers I'll guess an Adventure. Fine m/c. I have a 2003 950 Adv in the garage... finest two wheels I've owned.

Same engine... but a tricked out SDR. Also the most fun bike that I have ever owned. Would you believe that I bought it to save my license :)

Back