Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanda - FZJ105RV (pic heavy)

Scott the final outcome is something I could kill for. Been following the work on Facebook and have to say I'm very impressed with what Chris has been doing. You lucky, lucky man

Cheers Jim, we're very pleased with how she's turned out and can't wait to get behind the wheel. Been looking at some HEMA maps this evening eyeing up routes, I will start a planning/advice thread shortly to benefit from people's knowledge and experience.

Looks Good Chris; I'm interested why you went petrol rather than diesel? I know what you mean about LPG... with my 4Runner I was only looking for a petrol or diesel one, not interested in an LPG one, as I find they're so infrequently set up right in terms of timing etc.

Auto vs manual is a personal choice, and some people have other reasons for needing an auto so that is understandable.

Looks Good Chris
Chris has asked me to pass on his thanks for all the kind words, on his and the FNB 4WD teams hard work. He would register, but doesn't feel that he could devote the time required whilst juggling the business, social media and forums that FNB are already involved with. Plus I keep him pretty busy with emails!!! :icon-twisted:

I'm interested why you went petrol rather than diesel? I know what you mean about LPG... with my 4Runner I was only looking for a petrol or diesel one, not interested in an LPG one, as I find they're so infrequently set up right in terms of timing etc.

Auto vs manual is a personal choice, and some people have other reasons for needing an auto so that is understandable.
When I first started looking the diesels were all quite expensive for what they were, and if you wanted a nice one you had to stump up a lot of money. I also prefer an auto, so finding diesel autos in good nick were not as common, or expensive. Like here, but worse, the diesels have been bought by people expecting to utilise the economy so they often have quite a few km's on the clock and have commiserate wear and tear.

So I consulted TonyS after his experience buying and using Betsy, and Chris at FNB 4WD (who Tony put me in touch with). Tony said that you get a far better condition petrol Land Cruiser for your money, with lesser km's compared to a diesel. The diesel would need more repair work to get it up to standard, and at the end of it, it would still be a big km truck. As I intend to only use the truck for 2 months out of 12, the increased fuel consumption of a petrol could be lived with, and the money that you saved buying the truck and not having to shell out in repairs, goes towards the fuel bills.

When I spoke with Chris he agreed with Tony's advice and as it turns out Chris' own vehicle is a FZJ80 (supercharged :icon-twisted: ). This was enough to convince me to narrow the search to a petrol Land Cruiser. As mentioned earlier, my preference is an auto, so I narrowed the search to a petrol auto Land Cruiser. Which as it happens was a wise move, due to a back condition that has decided to give me some problems this year, affecting my left leg. If I'd have bought a manual I might not have been able to go ahead with the trip.

With regard to the LPG, Chris advised me to steer clear of an LPG'd vehicle, or budget $5,000 for a replacement head, as it'll need one at some point. It would seem that the lack of lubrication when running on LPG causes valve recession, and they end up needing a new head. As I looked at the ad's you'd often find LPG'd 80s boosting replacement heads, so they were struck off the list. Unless the vehicle had a lubrication system as well as the LPG it wasn't worth taking the chance. Plus I was worried about the availability of LPG in remote areas, and you can't have long range fuel tanks as well as LPG tanks, so I'd probably end up removing the LPG tanks on anything that I bought anyway.

So a petrol, auto Land Cruiser in the best condition possible for the money, was the order of the day. Many were discounted after careful review of the ad, Chris inspected an 80 and it needed $10,000 spending to make it right before any mods. So the decision was made to add a bit more to the fund and buy a newer vehicle, a 105. I didn't start out thinking I'd end up with a 105, I thought I'd have a 60. A decent looking 105 appeared, Chris inspected it and it was the perfect base vehicle for the project.

I am glad that I didn't end up with a petrol version of my 80 that I have over here, instead we have a vehicle that is a bit different and not common to us, as it was never sold in Europe. I've seen 105s in the flesh but never thought I'd own one.

Roll on December when we'll be behind the wheel :dance::dance::dance:

Scott - have you plans to bring the truck back to the UK at some point and how easy is that to do?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Scott - have you plans to bring the truck back to the UK at some point and how easy is that to do?
Factors will affect what we do with Wanda long term, the plan is to store her between trips and get as many trips in as we can while we have her. Once we know that we won't be using her in Oz anymore, circumstances will dictate whether we sell her in Oz or ship her to the UK.

I don't envisage problems with bringing her back and registering her over here. A couple of people on here have imported vehicles, it may be worth starting a thread if you'd like some info on their experiences.

That's a good idea Scott, after next years Simpson trip, I think Betsy will be on her way to the uk. Need to check out my options, but as I have so much gear out there, a container will be my preferred option.

I little update as we near the big day. I asked Chris and the team to carryout some finishing touches to Wanda to make her even more comfortable and convenient to use, and they have done a great job.

Wanda still had the original radio installed (but not working) as well as an aftermarket head unit, neither of which could hook up to an iPhone. So they were removed and revealed some ammeter wiring, this was all removed and made good before installing a VMS unit. This unit has built in street and track sat nav, excellent connectivity and a reversing camera.1426344_10200900834234338_1153741011_n.jpg

Some of the removed dodgy wiring can be seen on the centre console.

1392479_10200900843354566_1028317734_n.jpg

1469978_10200900856154886_1912798003_n.jpg

A solar panel mount is being constructed to hold a 120W panel between the roof and roof tent.
1452266_10200912926416635_571122265_n.jpg

A mount has been made on the left hand rear swing out for the TREDs sand ladders, the clamp holds them securely to eliminate rattles and has a padlock facility.
1456574_10200912944337083_685423680_n.jpg

1459112_10200912944297082_495985050_n.jpg

1484408_10200912944537088_1264599360_n.jpg

A safe, seat covers, battery monitor, dyneema winch rope and ali hawser are also being added.

hi, great job, i wish my wife was a bit more enthusiastic, would love to get out about like that. good on ya, will look forward to the updates.

on another note, the cracked rear cross member, was that down to towing using the toyota hitch point, i am going to be using that fixing point myself soon, and just wondered if i need to reinforce
thank you.

Thanks Joe. Wanda is going well, she's coped with 45C heat on the 500km Darling River run, which was rough in places as well as having a good helping of bull dust. Air conditioning works well!

The cracked rear cross member welds were as a result of lots of Km's on corrugated dirt roads, which is what this 105 was originally bought for when new (outback healthcare). The truck had also had every bush and suspension component replaced, as they too had worn out on the dirt roads. I'm pleased to say that Wanda rides the dirt roads well, so pleased we have a coil sprung 4x4 and not leaves! Wanda also seems to be doing well on petrol, I haven't measured the consumption, but going by what I've been putting in, she's doing well, especially considering that there's a 4.5 under the bonnet (plenty of poke to pass those road trains). Plus she's no lightweight fully loaded and with 240L of fuel onboard.

Updates can be found at:
https://m.facebook.com/stephandscott.seacombe?__user=100006686923614

Couldn't quite make it out in any of the pictures here or in Ben's thread but what size tyres did you fit Scott? Can't make my mind up if they're standard or 33's? :think:

Jon, they are 285/75R16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2s.

Thanks Chris, 80/100/105 all have deceptive wheel wells with a bit of lift!

Yes, and Wanda's a big girl now with all that gear on board. Makes the wheels/tyres look smaller hey.

Thanks Joe. Wanda is going well, she's coped with 45C heat on the 500km Darling River run, which was rough in places as well as having a good helping of bull dust. Air conditioning works well!

The cracked rear cross member welds were as a result of lots of Km's on corrugated dirt roads, which is what this 105 was originally bought for when new (outback healthcare). The truck had also had every bush and suspension component replaced, as they too had worn out on the dirt roads. I'm pleased to say that Wanda rides the dirt roads well, so pleased we have a coil sprung 4x4 and not leaves! Wanda also seems to be doing well on petrol, I haven't measured the consumption, but going by what I've been putting in, she's doing well, especially considering that there's a 4.5 under the bonnet (plenty of poke to pass those road trains). Plus she's no lightweight fully loaded and with 240L of fuel onboard.

Updates can be found at:
https://m.facebook.com/stephandscott.seacombe?__user=100006686923614

Quick bit of ressurection here... just been watching a show over here, and spotted a certain couple's names on the wall! Annoyingly didn't record it...

Back