Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Warm up time post intercooler install

grantw

Supporter
After having the intercooler installed on my 80 the time for the engine to warm up seems to be taking an age ... and infact doesn't seem to completely warm up when idling. I'm starting to think the thermostat has been left/taken out ... but that doesn't make a lot of sense as they shouldn't have been anywhere near that.

Planning on checking/testing it this weekend but thought would ask here incase the intercooler could have such a dramatic affect.

Any thoughts?

I have an intercooler on my 80, it does seem to take a long time to warm up but it's been on there for such a long time I don't remember how long it took pre intercooler. :confusion-confused: Also I think diesels don't really warm up on idling, they need to be driven. :think:

Thanks Chas. I'm sure it's longer now than from last winter.

I'll have to take note of how long time wise it's taking.

They never really warm up at idle when it's cold out even without an intercooler. If slight warming from the turbo and intake heater if still connected would normally speed it up then it's possible the intercooler negates that and makes it take a bit longer.

Thanks Jon. Short drive in lightish London traffic last night. 15 minutes and the gauge had just moved on to the very first stroke. Did have warm air coming through the heaters within 5 mins.

Not sure if the intake heater is connected (or is still in there) or not. I did get some unexpected bonuses with the intercooler install ... such as complete EGR removal :dance:

Back