Sent: 16 October 2004 15:19
To: [Email address removed]; elco
Subject: [ELCO] Water thrown up from the front wheels
I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds that when driving through a deep
puddle I get a wall of water over the front, and (briefly) cannot see where
I'm going.
This rather came to a head last week when driving at night in torrential
rain on country roads in Yorkshire, when I darned near walloped an oncoming
car because I couldn't see where to steer.
I suppose it's due to wide tyres and a high front clearance, but has anyone
ever come up with a mod to stop this happening? Perhaps some sort of
"leading" mud flaps?
Any ideas appreciated.
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.771 / Virus Database: 518 - Release Date: 28/09/2004

Hi Chris,
I think it has a lot to do wih tyre size and relative lack of overhang of the bodywork in front of the wheel.
Some rally cars do indeed use a semi rigid flap sticking forward and out to the side from the front bumper to minimise the spray, but I suspect something similar on an 80 would look a bit rediculous once you work out how big it will have to be.
I find that the only way to deal with it is to be quick on the draw with the wipers and try to get them on before you hit the water.
Whilst slowing down is a good idea, I would be wary about about slamming on the brakes as soon as you see the deep water - having had a fully loaded 80 sideways at speed in the wet (swerving to avoid a deer on a highland road), aguaplaning would be something I would like to avoid.
Cheers,
Julian
On the Isle of Mull
Home: 01285 821 712
Office: 01285 821 910
Mobile: 07971 540 362

Julian
Yes, having looked at it, flaps would look really stupid. But I'm still tempted to experiment.
What really annoys me is that I love splashing through puddles at speed (when surrounded by 2.3 tons of waterproof steel that is.)
Christopher Bell
Some rally cars do indeed use a semi rigid flap sticking forward and out to the side from the front bumper to minimise the spray, but I suspect something similar on an 80 would look a bit rediculous once you work out how big it will have to be
Whilst slowing down is a good idea, I would be wary about about slamming on the brakes as soon as you see the deep water - having had a fully loaded 80 sideways at speed in the wet (swerving to avoid a deer on a highland road), aguaplaning would be something I would like to avoid

I know what you mean - puddle bashing appeals to the inner child inmost of us, particularly when the effect is spectacular in an LC and you dont have the old problems of water on leads or drowning the coil or distributor.
I occassionally have to take my eldest daughter (4) a couple of miles down some very narrow little lanes to school in the mornings, with two spots at the bottom a valleys that flood every time it rains - suffice to say, they have to be taken at speed and I don't know which of us enjoys it most:))
Cheers,
Julian
Home: 01285 821 712
Office: 01285 821 910
Mobile: 07971 540 362

Julian
I occassionally have to take my eldest daughter (4) a couple of miles down some very narrow little lanes to school in the mornings, with two spots at the bottom a valleys that flood every time it rains - suffice to say, they have to be taken at speed and I don't know which of us enjoys it most:-
I took my little boy, then 4, out on a puddle-bashing exercise about 2 years ago. We found an extra good puddle - or so we thought - in a low-lying place, but had to back out rather hurriedly when (solid) water started coming over the bonnet. It turned out to be the River Exe flooding ...
I don't have a snorkel, so I was dead lucky not to get water in the air intake!
Christopher Bell

Back