Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Waterproofing/preserving a roof tent cover

Lorin

My Howling Moon roof tent has to live on the truck all year round which is tough on the outer cover. The last one didn't fair too well after a winter and lost a lot of its waterproofing. Scott very kindly gave me another cover that I'm keen to try and help survive! Does anyone know of any products that can be used to further waterproof/preserve the cover?

It seems to be some sort of rubberised fabric. I've looked at all the usual tent/fabric treatments but none of them seem to be the right sort of thing. Ideally it needs to be some sort of liquid rubber/silicone solution that can be painted on.

Lorin, check out Plasti Dip, despite it`s name can be painted sprayed, adheres to almost anything stays flexible withstands harsh weather chemicals and salt(handy by the sea where we live - must be close)

John

2 things you want it to do:
-Waterproof (obvious really going by what you're asking it to be used for)
-UV protection

That last one is the bit that I suspect is killing it off; even though the UV in the UK isn't as strong as it is down here in Aus, the effect is still cumulative.

Have a look for some awning waterproofer from the caravan suppliers; it's a liquid that you can paint on or spray on. I'd be inclined to look for Trio or Isabella's product, see what it's ingredients are and then compare it to Granger's Fabsil or Nikwax Tent and gear proofer.

Having a quick read the most readily available option appears to be Fabsil Gold, which has a high silicone content.

Hope that helps a bit

Ed

Granger's Fabsil did a very good job on a 30 year old small tent that I still use occasionally.
The waterproofing was regained, but breathability diminished ... a bit of trade-off, but a reasonable one.

I can also tell you not to use fabsil as a deodorant.. Happened to be in the same colour scheme as my deodorant was at the time, and it was on the same surface in my bedroom...

Last edited:
Ive been using a product called 303 Aerospace protectant on my tent cover and it does a great job

http://www.amazon.co.uk/303-Products-30350-Aerospace-Protectant/dp/B000XBCURW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412735790&sr=8-1&keywords=303+Products+30350+Aerospace+Protectant

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I went with PlastiDip in the end (cheers John ). It worked really well, covering the tent cover in a fine film of rubber. The only downsides are that it costs quite a bit to do the whole cover properly and that when laning, it gets scraped off by all the tree branches etc. easy enough to patch up though.

Glad you got there in the end Lorin, so many options! We can`t be too far away in sunny Bournemouth, I`m in Queens Park.

Regards, John

Glad you got there in the end Lorin, so many options! We can`t be too far away in sunny Bournemouth, I`m in Queens Park.

Regards, John

Quite literally neighbours then. I'm in Charminster!

As they say mate - it`s a small world. So close, I wonder how I have never spotted you from your signature picture, although work has let me spend little time in or around B`mouth.
John

Back