Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

WEIRD electrics

Jon Wildsmith said:
After hearing about Ian's discovery of a previously unknown feature involving the rear screen heater switch on the red car I wondered if a few 80 owners might try it out to see if they also get weird behaviour if switching the ignition off with the rear heater on?
I tried it on mine and no problem, engine turned off OK, :thumbup: but I do have a slight problem with the screen heater, it works, just, but only two of the 'wires' in the screen work well the others can be seen to be heating up but don't clear the condensation, only two do that, one at the top and one in the middle, so I assume the heater is working in that all wires seem to be getting power, but why do only two wires clear the condensation :confusion-confused: BTW a new screen was fitted in 2008 after the old one got broken.

This problem has only become apparent recently, for about the last two weeks every day the inside of the car has bad condensation, I have to engage aircon to help clear it, this happened very suddenly one day it was OK then every day since it's been steamed up :thumbdown:

karl wester said:
frank
I have a 4.2 12valve. Last year i had allarm issues with the clifford that was on the car. I ended up spending half an hour trying to get the car started as it wouldnt start without the alarm im mobilised.
in the end i had to cut it out. it still has the toyota alarm in the truck but how that works i dont know as never had a fob for that one
karl

FWIW I NEVER leave an old alarm system in and put in a new one 'over the top'. There is ALWAYS a problem later down the line. I would trace and follow all the old wiring back to source and cut it all out. I installed my Clifford with the only issue being a problem getting the CL to work, once the correct wires were found it was a doddle.

regards

Dave

Yet another problem has reared it's ugly head, a month ago I had an red top Optima battery fail. On the assumption that the other one might not be too far behind I bought two Numax CXV-X batteries and fitted them yesterday, :thumbup: but while fitting them I accidentally touched the Pos cable to the Neg pole :oops: , big flash :o , but all seemed OK.
Today I noticed the oil warning light flashing in sequence with the indicator lights, that has stopped doing that all the time now (it does it occasionally) :confusion-confused: but on my way back from my off-road club tonight the oil warning light came on intermittently, as soon as I got home I checked the oil level and it's OK, pressure gauge reads OK too, any ideas

I had the same problem on my 80, turned out to be a bad connection on one of the treminals, cleaned them and it was fine.

andyw said:
I had the same problem on my 80, turned out to be a bad connection on one of the treminals, cleaned them and it was fine.
I'll give it a try, but the batteries have only just been fitted so I doubt if the terminals are dirty yet.

Cossack said:
andyw said:
I'll give it a try, but the batteries have only just been fitted so I doubt if the terminals are dirty yet.

My batteries were new as well, but the problem occurred when it came back from MOT, no idea why but the clamp seemed a bit loose.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
Yet another problem has reared it's ugly head, a month ago I had an red top Optima battery fail. On the assumption that the other one might not be too far behind I bought two Numax CXV-X batteries and fitted them yesterday, :thumbup: but while fitting them I accidentally touched the Pos cable to the Neg pole :oops: , big flash :o , but all seemed OK.
Today I noticed the oil warning light flashing in sequence with the indicator lights, that has stopped doing that all the time now (it does it occasionally) :confusion-confused: but on my way back from my off-road club tonight the oil warning light came on intermittently, as soon as I got home I checked the oil level and it's OK, pressure gauge reads OK too, any ideas
Disconnected all three batteries and cleaned clamps and posts, and Vaselined everything but the problem still exists, :thumbdown: it's been booked in to the leccy shop on Monday

Alternator plugs and connectors along with bad earths can cause all sorts of weird gremlins, the issue is one of time and cost, if you can afford to put it in the workshop then go for it, if you have a spare car and a multimeter you could save yourself some cash.

regards
Dave

Dave 2000 said:
Alternator plugs and connectors along with bad earths can cause all sorts of weird gremlins, the issue is one of time and cost, if you can afford to put it in the workshop then go for it, if you have a spare car and a multimeter you could save yourself some cash.regardsDave
The leccy shop is run by a mate and cash in hand he's not too dear. :thumbup: As this has only happened since I changed the batteries I think it must be something connected with that :pray:

That's good news, TBH most problems centre around either the alternator or simple bad connections so should not be too difficult to find. The diode pack in the alternator does not like reverse currents or 'shorts' so that would be my first port of call.

Good luck

regards

Dave

Back