Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Weird indicator anomaly

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
During this years Morocco trip the indicators developed a weird 'thing'.

When indicating left or right the needle of the voltmeter in the dash dips and rises in time with the flashes, this happens whether the engine is running or not.

Today I noticed that with the ignition on (but not the engine) and the door open, the first 'flash' also makes the key in the ignition alarm (normally heard if the door is opened with the ignition is turned off and key left in) beep on the first flash.... if the door is closed it doesn't do this.

Interestingly the hazard flashers don't do any of the above and work normally.

Before I go in with the tools, anyone come across this before and know where I should be looking/poking?

Last edited:
Earthing!!!

I had an equally bizarre indicator related madness once, where if on the corespondent side light would also flash along with the dash illumination and if not on the dash warning lights would flash. Turned out to be a combination of a bad earth on one of the wing repeater indicators that was also full of water!!!

edit - actually now I think about it I've got two faults I had combined there. The side repeater bad earth and full of water caused the dash warning lights to flash and the side light dash light flashing thing was due to a short circuit in the harness plug for the headlight, side light and indicator cluster.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Back