Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Well priced 80!

Agree Clive. I had plans of my 80 being my Daily Driver when its finished. But im thinking more of a Sunday Driver Now... Its 30 years old now.. Agree that you gotta love em to keep em.. But for what a decent 80 is worth you can get a pretty Good Hi Lux Invincible....... Iv been looking..:eusa-shhh:

You’re probably quite right Higgy, but in my 48 years of having a full drivers’ licence, I’ve never owned a vehicle for as long as I’ve had my 80 (13 years) and it’s somehow captivating. For whatever reason, pick-ups have never appealed to me, despite the more modern ones being well capable.
I’ve always had older cars, with one exception when I bought a new Orion Ghia in the 80s, and I’ve always become attached to them in a way that never happened with the Orion. My 80 has surpassed all of them in terms of what suits me, and comparing it with other SUV or Utility vehicles is a waste of time for me, they are not 80s, never will be, end of. I know it doesn’t make sense, but I’m old and don’t care anymore. My family is accommodative and supportive, so I’m lucky there. :lol:

I guess its down to an individuals requirements and preferences, I run my 80 every day, the 120 being relegated to 2nd place. It does what I want it to, in terms of enjoyment of driving experience its the second best I have owned after the nearly new one I bought in 97 and kept for 16 years.
As I truck about round the area I still see the occasional 80 being used during working hours, maybe with a car trailer or Ifor with big bales on so they are out there.
I think there has been a sieving out of the lower end of the market to the breakers but the ones which are now left will be preserved and the rate at which they are broken will decline.

One can only Hope Andy... Agree too Clive.. I plan to keep my 80 for a long time, Well as long as i can..

My experience is the same. 16 years and counting with my 80. I don’t even think of changing it as it’s the perfect vehicle for what I do.

I always dismissed a pickup because you cannot get 3m lengths of plastic/metal conduit/trunking in the back like you can in a truck. I don’t want a van. Too much of a target, plus no access to the tip etc. I’ve even got friends in the same position that have transferred to 4x4s from using a van. Mines a daily driver on mainly short runs. Any modern diesel with particulate filter and EGR would be so choked as to be un-drivable.

1HDT (or 1HDT-FE) are asking over AU$15k (seen a late HDJ80 up for $25k recently) quite often, but petrols (and non-turbo diesels) are all over the place.

However, remember that many of those here in Aus are often north of 400,000km (we have a friend with 660,000km on his 1HDT which is still in daily use)

Aus cars also reach a floor price of the value of rego and the cost of putting another year on - never mind the ubiquity of the vehicle to begin with.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1HDT (or 1HDT-FE) are asking over AU$15k (seen a late HDJ80 up for $25k recently) quite often, but petrols (and non-turbo diesels) are all over the place.

However, remember that many of those here in Aus are often north of 400,000km (we have a friend with 660,000km on his 1HDT which is still in daily use)

Aus cars also reach a floor price of the value of rego and the cost of putting another year on - never mind the ubiquity of the vehicle to begin with.

Also the sheer amount of people who are after them.. and as time ticks on the raise in the quantity of people wanting to buy one.

Unless they're willing to pick up a project and wait untill it's ready to "jump in and drive!"

Back