Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Sahara April 2017

Great pics Byron. Haven't looked at mine yet. Job for when I get home

Thanks Mark, that panning was tricky I have lots of blurred images :grimacing:. When do you think you will be back in the UK?

My ferry is on the 25th. Just getting too hot now for sensible travelling day temps are high 30's but so are the night time down south so it's time to head home

As you know I was trying panning and fromwhat I've read even the pros have 100's of wasted shots to get a few good ones. You seem to have nailed it with the photo of the bike

IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1758.JPG
IMG_1762.JPG
IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG

Last year I found a series of nice pistes between Tata and Taliouine but didn't get time to do them all.

This time I picked one these left over routes and again it turned out to be an amazing drive through the valleys of the Anti Atlas and then up the high plateau.

Taliouine camping was busier this time with a few overlanders in. French group arrived late and it would appear that they had a 'Steve' in their group as well

From Taliouine it was back down to the desert and across to Foum Zguid to meet up with Marco, a dutch biker I'd met in Marrakech and had promised a trip out into the desert near where we had problems with the army in 2015.

Seems the restrictions in this area have relaxed and despite 3 check points we were aloooeed to continue.

Then we set off to Zagora mid afternoon to hit incredible sand storms on the way. Driving conditions were appalling virtually no visibility and very strong cross winds. Hard work it the truck but Marco was on his bike

My ferry is on the 25th. Just getting too hot now for sensible traveling day temps are high 30's but so are the night time down south so it's time to head home

As you know I was trying panning and from what I've read even the pros have 100's of wasted shots to get a few good ones. You seem to have nailed it with the photo of the bike

Thanks, I find the bikes are more visually appealing than the cars, perhaps because they have lots of angles and shapes in a small space.

Oddly enough I can see my green Tilley hat lying on the ground next to my camera case in a photo I took of the helicopter with George siting in his chair nearby. So how it disappeared after that is a real mystery.

I am supposed to be in Greece by the end of May so I will try and delay so I can meet up with you before I leave. That sandstorm looks hectic!

Keep having fun and have a safe trip home.

I've been trying to track down a mysterious knock from the front of my truck for some time. Checking it over in Tata I noticed one of the new lower arm bushes fitted last year had failed. So whilst in Zagora I went back to Ali's to see what he said. 2 new bushes promptly fitted under warranty/good customer service. But the knock is still there

Having said goodbye to everyone in Zagora it was time to head north to cooler temps for a bit. Nice piste through the Anti Atlas to the Fint Oasis passing a film set on the way. The Oasis would have been nice apart drom the touts.

Today I did the aecond half of the planned trans atlas route I had prepared for the group. Another great drive ending up in a festival and seeing a fantasia. I've definitely got a cracking 2 day off road road from Dades to Marrakech now

Oh the sprinter was almost brand new. 70k worth of mercy and 40k of modifications. Snapped the drive shaft on the way up a small gradient and now being transported back to France.

IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG

I've been trying to track down a mysterious knock from the front of my truck for some time. Checking it over in Tata I noticed one of the new lower arm bushes fitted last year had failed. So whilst in Zagora I went back to Ali's to see what he said. 2 new bushes promptly fitted under warranty/good customer service. But the knock is still there

Having said goodbye to everyone in Zagora it was time to head north to cooler temps for a bit. Nice piste through the Anti Atlas to the Fint Oasis passing a film set on the way. The Oasis would have been nice apart drom the touts.

Today I did the aecond half of the planned trans atlas route I had prepared for the group. Another great drive ending up in a festival and seeing a fantasia. I've definitely got a cracking 2 day off road road from Dades to Marrakech now

Oh the sprinter was almost brand new. 70k worth of mercy and 40k of modifications. Snapped the drive shaft on the way up a small gradient and now being transported back to France.

View attachment 126405 View attachment 126410 View attachment 126411 View attachment 126412 View attachment 126413 View attachment 126414 View attachment 126415 View attachment 126416 View attachment 126417

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure why that posted twice.

From Dades U picked up a new north/south pistes through the High Atlas with 2 almost 3000m passes to Tabant and the Valley of the Happy People. Then it's was a short section of tarmac before another off road section to the Cascades Ouzoud. Absolutely stunning drive and probably one of the best ways across the mountains north to south.

Stayed at Zebra Camping near the cascades. It was heaving only 2 spaces left when i arrived. Good number of overlanders in as well 2 French 4x4's, a defender, unimog, big Man truck and a Iveco off road camper

IMG_1840.JPG
IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1848.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1858.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG

Brilliant photies Mark, thanks for posting.

Stay safe...

Loads of great shots there @MarkW . Your pictures have convinced Zelda that she wants to go overlanding in Morocco :openmouth:. So I had better get a move on sorting a new car...

It is really weird seeing pictures of your truck with my gear on the roof! Talking of gear I guess you should be back in the UK on the 26th. Where and when would it be best for me to meet up with you to relieve you of my gear that you have so kindly carted over most of Morocco :neutral:. Perhaps PM me with that info I guess

Bad news Byron I'm afraid the sticker fell off the box on the roof today!

Starting to forget I even have it most days. It's only when I set up camp and have too take one very light box out of the way.

Back to news

Left Ouzoud and had a fairly tame day of tarmac across to Imichil. Slightly alarmed when my temp gauge rose for the first time ever on a long climb, still gave me an excuse for a break.

Had a look at a new campsite by the 2nd lake in Imichil but it's was only a few tents next to the shore so stayed at the one we did in 2015.

Lovely spot as ever slightly ruined when a huge Austrian off road truck pulled in. Parked uphill of me then drained his waste water tanks which ran downhill where I was camping. Karma bit them back as I saw them broken down the day after :)

IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG
IMG_1877.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG

From Imichil I had a very long 277km day planned heading back to the desert. So it was up and off early and headed south towards to Todra Gorge.

I'd seem an interesting piste a couple of years ago that went up over the last bit of the mountains and planned to take that down own to the main road. I couldn't find the start of the track but could see it in the mountain side. Looked like an easy cross country drive straight onto it. All was going well until the slope got to 45 degrees and lose screw with only 10m to go. Just no way to get the traction needed so I decided to skip that and head straight down the Gorge.

From the main road I had a short cut through the eastern end of Jebel Sahro and onto the N12 desert highhway into Erfoud for the night.

Today I headed out into the desert to try a route around Erg Chebbi then out to a few km of the Algerian border before turning north to Boudnib and the best camp site in Morocco. This was a route that had been planned for the 2015 forum trip but got cancelled when people changed their minds. First 100km if fanstastic the next bit not so great but when you met with a cold beer at the end of the day who cares about 40 degree temps.

Found one of @KriPas stickers on the back of a sign with one of the Raid Maroc stickers on the other

IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1897.JPG
IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG
IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1917.JPG
IMG_1918.JPG
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG

Thursday was a fairly tame day on tarmac from Boudnib upto Midelt. Spotted an English campervan at the side of the road with the bonnet up so checked to see if they were ok. Ended up he was a founder member of one of the big U.K. Off road clubs. Had a coffee and some biscuits and we parted ways.

Yesterday was a shade under 200km about 80% off road upto Azrou. So much in one day could be a bit much for some ;)

Today I'm in Taza after a route only a few Km west of the one I did the first day with John, but this one was much less exciting. Only a few km off road and not as good for the views.

Beautiful scenery but I much prefer the south

Arrived in Chefchoen after braving the Rif Mountains.

The day started off on a bad foot as my iPhone had decided to change the time. So the alarm went off an hour later than expected. Turns out Morocco has summer time until Ramadan then switch back to summer time afterwards. Confused? Everyone here is!

Interesting day in the mountains but only 30km off road (a perfect day for some).

Watching the different generations of a family all work together to tend the crops was nice. Some of the farmers seemed very keen to get me to try some of their produce. One even drove after me for a few km :)

At one point it looked like cloud might roll into the valleys below the mountain road but it didn't quite get to that point.

Only half a day more travelling a Bryons stuff is back in Europe :). All of it, except the liquorice allsorts which I just ate

IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG

Only half a day more traveling and Byron's stuff is back in Europe :). All of it, except the liquorice allsorts which I just ate.

I am impressed you held out that long :openmouth:. Have a good trip up through Spain, see you Saturday.

Well I'm back in Europe now ready to catch the ferry tomorrow :(

So over the last 8 months I've spent 3.5 living out of the truck and it's been great. Learnt a few things along the way about my set up, met some great and not so great people, found some amazing routes around Morocco/Western Sahara which most casual visitors would never find and made some good friends.

By the time I get home I should have covered around 27000km with roughly 75-80% off road. After that sort of distance both the truck and me will need a careful going over and a good service. I know the truck needs new springs but after 300 000km it's probably overdue and some of the bushes will need replacing. I have a couple of issues for medical assistance, been nursing a painful elbow for a couple of months now which doesn't seem to clear up and after the sand storms my right eye seems to have an infection or irritation.

Minor issues, a few days and I'll have the next trip planned :)

I met up with @MarkW on the 26th and collected my gear that he had been lugging all over Morocco for the past weeks. It was a fair bit of stuff: my recovery gear, tools, table, chair, gas bottle etc. Must have weighed at least 40kg and bulky with it. It was quite a job for Mark to get that lot in his 90 as well as all his own kit.

I would have had to abandon most of that kit if Mark had not looked after it for me. Thanks dude you are a real star :text-thankyouyello:

Last edited:
No problems Byron, just a shame with what happened to Mr T

I think I gained an inch on my suspension after you collected you bits and pieces

Back