Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Sahara April 2017

Carlos wine is long gone. We have 2 bottles of Byron Wi e left

Cracking drive today from Tata to Taliouine through the Anti Atlas. I really must try harder to find rubbish off road routes!

Hmmm. You know, one could really go off a person... :)

It's going to good use along with your table and chair now we've befriended some guys on motorbikes

It's going to good use along with your table and chair now we've befriended some guys on motorbikes

:wtf:. You really know how to make a guy feel good :grimacing:.

:violin:

P.S. Please hang on to my gas cylinder if you can :pray:. Just found out how much it will cost to replace it!

P.S. Please hang on to my gas cylinder if you can :pray:. Just found out how much it will cost to replace it!
I have it, don't worry! We've emptyed the gas and it's part of the morning/evening load/unloading prosedures ;)

20170423_145058.jpg 20170424_115522.jpg 20170425_170739.jpg 20170426_191423.jpg

It's just not the same without you dude

That's good to know :). It needs luck and a lot of effort but I plan to get another car sorted for 2018, so hang on in there.

I was really enjoying the trip - especially the WS, the remoteness is captivating. You keep having fun and sort out some great routes for next year :sunglasses:.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
After Dakhla it was south to the Tropic of Cancer. Although we had been told further south was stunning we decided to head back north and leave the far south for another time

Having to drive back up the same road as we drove down wasn't the best but at least we knew the story behind the British Sugar Tankers and the wet lay-bus now. And no one got a verbal warning from the police

IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG

Following a request not to have another night in Laayoune we stopped in Boudjour for the night. Then, slightly nervously, we headed back to Smara before picking up a great 2 day route NE to Assa. After crossing the dry lake we wildcamped on the north side.

Following morning we spent some time filming and taking photos on the lake before continuing. The days drive was through a fantastic part of the WS and Morocco with another wild camp about 100km south west of Assa

The run into Assa the next day took us over my first ever off road route in the truck and through a heavily fortified valley from the Polisario conflict of the 80's

A quick lunch in Assa and a run in with the local crazy man was followed by a very windy drive to Tata. Again requests were made for where not to stay so a new campsite just outside town was the stop for the night.

IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG

Next was due north from Tata to Taliouine through the Anti Atlas. Starting with a stoney climb up onto to very fertile farmland. Beautiful scenery for the day.

This was a route I planned to do last year but ran out of time.

IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
George decided to head north to Marrakech early therefore taking Mike with him, missing out on the dunes, Jebel Sahro and the High Atlas off road that had been planned.

I decided to head to Zagora as bad weather was forecast over the Atlas. Driving down the valley into Zagora what initially looked like a massive rock fall onto the road was in fact just road works knocking rocks into the road.

Turning the corner I found Zagora in the depths of a dust storm! Had a pleasant day off in Zagora yesterday , car the truck and good check over and changed the front brake pads. Also did a bit of repacking so all of Byrons gear could be carried without too much hassle. Only a small box to move out of the way when camping and if I eat all my food and drink the beer no additional weight.

After my new truck being delivered it was time for off, heading for the Skoura Oasis at the foot of the Atlas via Jebel Sahro.

A new route for me and again turned out to be a great drive, off road almost all the way. Only traffic through the mountains were some off road buggies (which seem to be becoming a menace around Jebel Sahro.

Given the weather over the previous 2 nights with constant wind and dust storms the planned wild camp in the dunes would have been miserable.
IMG_1677.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG

Yesterday I headed north into the Atlas from Skoura onto the 2nd half of the High Atlas route I had planned. Turned out to more off road than expected. Few lunatic Spanish 4x4's heading the other way seemed to be having some informal rally. Also a lot of motorbikes on the road.

Stopped at a campsite popular with Overland a in Marrakesh and hit chatting with a Dutch biker a couple of Austrians and a French couple in an 80.

Popped into the Place of the Dead for dinner and watch the evening chaos then it was off to the bar for beers.

Today I discovered a puncture in the front left. 10 000km into the trip and largely off road and I'd picked up a screw somewhere. Pumped the tyre up and went to see the Dead Trees in Gueliz.

Deciding Marrakech is too hot and busy I've gone back to the coast for a few days to plan the next off road routes.
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG
Had a great couple of days catching up with friends, drinking and playing snooker but now back on the road again.

Slight crisis this morning when I realised I was out of beer and the beer shop is closed on a Friday. So I was forced to endure the horrors of Agadir again for more supplies.

Now in Tafroute in the Anti Atlas from r the next day or so exploring some tracks I've marked as interesting then I start zig zagging east with a new High Atlas pass to try out.

View attachment 124938 View attachment 124939 View attachment 124940 George decided to head north to Marrakech early therefore taking Mike with him, missing out on the dunes, Jebel Sahro and the High Atlas off road that had been planned.

I decided to head to Zagora as bad weather was forecast over the Atlas. Driving down the valley into Zagora what initially looked like a massive rock fall onto the road was in fact just road works knocking rocks into the road.

Turning the corner I found Zagora in the depths of a dust storm! Had a pleasant day off in Zagora yesterday , car the truck and good check over and changed the front brake pads. Also did a bit of repacking so all of Byrons gear could be carried without too much hassle. Only a small box to move out of the way when camping and if I eat all my food and drink the beer no additional weight.

Hi Mark. I have been away a few days so just catching up on this thread. Some great pictures there so it looks like you are still going strong in Morocco.

I really appreciate you carrying my gear particularly as your car was already pretty packed with your own stuff! Did you take on board any of my food for yourself or did all of that go with George?

Don't worry I will help with your recent beer shortage on your return to the UK :).

IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG

Didn't get any of the food Byron just everything else including that bottle of special water

Trucks feels heavy but it is, so no surprise really. No different to having a passenger and now I've repacked everything it's no bother bringing it back.

Today was supposed to be a circuit around Tafroute to look at a canyon but the very interesting zig zag piste finished at an abandoned village. Even in a group I don't think we'd have got much further than I did. Still the return journey was pleasant as the area is criss crossed with nice new smooth pistes. Anyone who thinks Morocco is just hours of pounding rocks clearly doesn't know the country or hasn't seen it properly.

To make up for the delay I took a loop around the other side of the mountain ridge to the west of town. Absolutely stunning drive even if it was tarmac the whole way.

Tafroute is feeling like a desert outpost. No diesel and no electricity today and my cash is running low. Should be back working later.

Campsites full of Overlanders. Louis from the Netherlands in a Land Rover Camper, Swiss couple in a VW synchro and a group of Cezch bikers.

Tomorrow I'm heading east through the mountains to make an appointment involving cold beer on Tuesday

From Tafraout it was east across the Anti Atlas to Tata via an amazing Gorge and the Akka Gold Mine.

Not sure the mine were expecting tourists and wouldn't let me have a sample to take home :(

Another very hot and windy day in the south was made bareable by a great drive and some friendly French 4x4's in the camp site. Talking to them, they had just done the route we tried in 2015 but got stopped by the army. Looks like the area has opened up to tourists again. Byron's bottle of special water was opened and any remaining at the end of the night was donated to the French.

IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1729.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG
IMG_1740.JPG

Great pics Byron. Haven't looked at mine yet. Job for when I get home

Back