Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Sahara - jan & feb 2011 - quick report

vrecha

Again a month out there, this time we went exploring the territories that tourists usually don't touch: the inlands of the Western Sahara.

Regarding Morocco, the plan was to drive it as quickly as possible, partly because our main focus was souther and partly because we don't like opportunistic locals that Morocco in known to be filled with. I studied some guidebooks, also the ones from Chris Scott, to have some idea on which routes and spots the masses of tourists gather so we could avoid them. It paid off well. On our whole trip, we were not a single time asked for a "cadeau", but instead enjoyed in pristine relations with locals, were often invited to share a meal or a tea with them, without any expectations of paying for it. Of course we donated some items we carried with us for such opportunities, sometimes we exchanged some goods and all the time we had much fun in their company. We found them to be relaxed and have a good sense of humour. Knowing a little French, a few Arabic phrases and souther, in WS, Spanish, helps a lot with communication.

Some pictures from WS with comments follow.

I've heard the WS in mostly rocky desert. It certainly looks rocky from the asphalt road Laayoune-Dakhla, but inlands you can find a lot of ergs and you can do a lot of sand driving of different difficulties. Of course, travelling alone, with just one vehicle, you restrict yourself to the safe side and avoid big challenges.

ws11_010.jpg

ws11_020.jpg

ws11_070.jpg

Than you have large sandy plans.

ws11_030.jpg

Sometimes the going becomes too soft and you decide to take another course ...

ws11_060.jpg

The silence, the landscape, the solitude, isolation ... "awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping" as my desert traveler ideal, Tom Sheppard, says.

ws11_190.jpg

When you encounter lots of these ...

ws11_080.jpg

... you know you are near one of the old military fronts, and the possibility of minefields around becomes high. Especially when you have to cross one of the old "berms":

ws11_050.jpg

But the prizes for taking the risks are high. For example, you discover an old spa facility that was built before the war and is now abandoned. The boreholes provide thermal water of 30°C, 45°C and 70°C. The middle one ideal for thermal bathing, the hottest provides excellent medium for washing the clothes and cleaning the dishes. We stayed there for five days.

ws11_110.jpg

ws11_100.jpg

There are also some colorful "sebhas" in the area.

ws11_090.jpg

If you are keen on collecting fossils, you are well served, too.

ws11_120.jpg

Or if you want to see some inscriptions and pictures drawn by the nomads, who lived there few thousands years ago, no problem.

ws11_130.jpg

And the friendly, welcoming locals. In oases, they give you as much delicious vegetables from their gardens as you can carry.

ws11_140.jpg

Or you help one guy who ran out of diesel while watching over his camels ...

ws11_160.jpg

... and you end up at his father's place for the afternoon.

ws11_150.jpg

Those are the places to remember, the places we will be returning to.

ws11_180.jpg

For the end, the rough drawing of the desert loops we've driven.

ws11_200.jpg

And again, our LandCruiser performed excellently, although it's almost unmodified (OME + 33'' tyres + 90L additional fuel tank). Automatic transmission worked without a complaint, no overheating. Thanks, Toyota for providing such quality vehicles.

ws11_115.jpg

Fantastic report, Vrecha! Reading this makes me want to load up today and head south for some open space and peace (guess that means leaving the kids behind :lol: )

Good to hear your LC performed flawlessly :thumbup:

Great pictures.
When I was in Morocco, they would not entertain the word "Western Sahara"
Morocco, Morocco, they would repeat with infliction.

Graham

Great pics and nice writeup. I like the fact that you avoided the tourist routes and met some friendly locals. :thumbup:

I went to Morocco in 2009 and had a great time, like you we stayed away from the tourist areas (apart from Marrakech which was quite an experience in itself) but your excellent pictures and report have enticed me to maybe go again :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks very much for sharing Vrecha, that's an excellent 'quick report'. I very much enjoyed my trip to Morocco, I hope to get back there when time permits, and would like to get down to Western Sahara as well.

Your pic's are excellent, and well done at finding such nice camp spots and scenery to photograph.

Your making me get itchy feet!

Cheers.

Awesome photo's - beautiful :clap: :thumbup:

Excellent Photos & Write up... definitely want to go there myself - but maybe not as a single vehicle....

Splendid, absolutely wonderful... Thanks for sharing Vrecha :mrgreen:

Thanks for your comments.
Here are also some video clips from the trip - filmed with mobile phone. :oops:

[youtube:5jl218lj]AxZQXzmOikc[/youtube:5jl218lj]

That's a cracking little video especially when watched full screen on YouTube, with a great sound track too :thumbup: brings back memories of my trip there with a red Cruiser :thumbup:

What a wonderful piece of photo-journalism. Makes you think. We all are given only ONE life to live and this is the way to live it. Out there! The Land Cruiser is so much more than a 4x4, evident from this, it's also a way of life. More of the same please. Go in the way of the light.

John

The Dark Dude

Back