Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What budget laptop?

All good info - what you might want to do, is on your second picture, click on the CPU column so it sorts that instead of memory. You should then see the things thats killing the CPU at the top! If its a chrome tab, you can kill the process at the top, then see which tab/website it was that was causing it!

I'll remember that for the next time it slows, interesting tip, handy way of finding what was causing it :)

It seems to be running a bit better since I ran CcCleaner, I noticed it told me I had 57 windows updates after using CcCleaner, 1 was critical which I installed but I didn't install the remaining optional 56 updates. Should I? It seems strange that there's suddenly so many, as I usually do any windows updates when it prompts me and I believe Win7 isn't supported or being updated any longer so how do I 56 to install? Did CcCleaner delete some of them and now they're looking to be reinstalled?

It seems to be running a bit better since I ran CcCleaner, I noticed it told me I had 57 windows updates after using CcCleaner, 1 was critical which I installed but I didn't install the remaining optional 56 updates. Should I? It seems strange that there's suddenly so many, as I usually do any windows updates when it prompts me and I believe Win7 isn't supported or being updated any longer so how do I 56 to install? Did CcCleaner delete some of them and now they're looking to be reinstalled?

Ccleaner is pretty good. Ccleaner wont have uninstalled any updates.

My view is you should generally install all updates, but thats not to say its always goes smoothly and cant screw things up. I usually install all the windows updates; I think sometimes the optional ones are for Microsoft Office etc...

No doubt someone who knows more about windows (ie not me) can advise us.

Quick look - I loaded up the DailyMail website and U-Block Origin had 32 blocks on it; in comparison, the ABC Website (equivalent to BBC) had 3... which would go some way to explaining how much Chrome needed to operate and LandCruiser Club has 8.

If you had a couple of tabs open, then that would explain why it was sucking the brains from your computer.

Lenovo Thinkpad. I've taken mine all around the world (and under it). It's been thrown around, stuffed in the bottom of deployment bags, and just generally miscared for...It still chugs along no problem. They're easy to fix and parts are both cheap and readily available. They're like the Toyota of laptops.

Upgrade to Win10 as Win7 is no longer supported and there are no further security updates available from Microsoft Windows 7 End of Support Info - Microsoft - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

I was thinking it mightn't be possible to run Win 10 on this old laptop? And i'd be half afraid if it can't run it properly it'd make it even slower. Plus i quite like win 7 as have been using it long time now, have win 10 on a desktop and prefer 7.

Quick look - I loaded up the DailyMail website and U-Block Origin had 32 blocks on it; in comparison, the ABC Website (equivalent to BBC) had 3... which would go some way to explaining how much Chrome needed to operate and LandCruiser Club has 8.

If you had a couple of tabs open, then that would explain why it was sucking the brains from your computer.

I have a habit of scrolling down the dailymail news site and scanning the headlines where I scan the headline and open the ones of interest to me in a new tab and then I read the tabs that Iv;e opened at the end of my scrolling. I could end up with 10 tabs open. Iv'e a habit of doing this on any website, even if i google something, I look through all the results at once and open the ones I think to be of interest in new tabs, then I read all the tabs at the end. I do notice though that it mainly happens when on the dailymail website.

That's interesting that this particular website didn't fare well in your above test in comparison to other websites. I haven't a clue what that test you done is though, lol :) It's be handy to be able to check that myself in future for comparison, what is U-block? Can you tell me how to check that please.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another vote for the Chromebook. I bought a £300 one from HP to work from home on and it's been amazing - fast, light and rugged. It's got 360-degree hinges and a touchscreen so I can also use it as a tablet and stick it in the RAM mount in the car. The only drawback that I wasn't aware of when I got it is that Chrome OS rather surprisingly doesn't support GPS.

The only drawback that I wasn't aware of when I got it is that Chrome OS rather surprisingly doesn't support GPS.

Is it that the hardware doesn't have GPS, or is it that Chrome OS just doesn't support the thing? Is it possible to plug in a USB GPS and have it recognised? Sure you're already looked into it, but thought I'd mention it just in case!

A combination of both unfortunately. As far as I understand it Chrome products don't have GPS built in and the OS doesn't support external location devices.

A combination of both unfortunately. As far I understand it Chrome products don't have GPS built in and the OS doesn't support external location devices.
Thats a bit rubbish innit - thanks for the info!

Back