Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What gearboxes are in the 100 series?

pugwash

Country Flag
uk
Trying to find out gearbox and transfer compatibility between 80 series and 100 series- particularly between auto boxes between petrol engines- can anyone help?

diesel 100's are an A442F variant (extra solenoid IIRC) and petrol 100's are an A343F variant in most markets including the UK. I should think the 'programing' of the 100 series versions is different in the box itself i.e. different springs on accumulators etc. There are 100 series with the i6 engine not just the v8. Are you trying to put a 100 series gearbox on an 80 series engine or the other way round?

considering the possibilty of an engine change in the next 9-12 months.

Would like to put a 2UZ-FE in, and just wondering if it will bolt staright up to the A442F in the auto- seeing as my 80 is a diesel it would of course need a torque converter change- but i "think" the petrol and diesel boxes are otherwise the same.

the other option is a 5.7 LS1, but its a bit more expensive to buy (read import from the states), nd it would be really nice to have a toyota V8 in a toyota. Engine control in a either case would be via megasquirt.

Interesting idea, some markets did get an A442F box behind a 2UZ-FE so it could work with the right parts. Not sure your 80 series bell housing will bolt up to a 2UZ-FE as is. The bell housing on my 100 looks much smaller than the A442F sitting under the bench in my garage. If you get serious about it I could try comparing the two more closely as an early go/no go test.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Interesting idea, some markets did get an A442F box behind a 2UZ-FE so it could work with the right parts. Not sure your 80 series bell housing will bolt up to a 2UZ-FE as is. The bell housing on my 100 looks much smaller than the A442F sitting under the bench in my garage. If you get serious about it I could try comparing the two more closely as an early go/no go test.

ooh quick question- next time you are in the workshop can you have a lok at the bell housing and see if its boltable?

there's a couple of threads on pirate and ih8mud about people dropping 2uzfes into 80s but they come from Tundra's which we don't get here :(

other option is to get the 5sp auto from the 100 and mate that to the 80 T-box which seems to fit. But then i'dd need to control the auto box- which could be all sorts of fun and games. Do you happen to know if you're 100 has a combined engine and transmission ECU? Will probably megasquirt the engine and it will technically control the auto box with an I/O board- but its not the best solutions

dropping an LS1 looks easier, but reckon it will be way more expensive.

The bell housing is bolt on for both the A442F and the A343F. My perception of the bellhousing on my 100 being smaller than the 80 series diesel A442F I have might just be down to position and shape of the engine it's bolted to. You might have to wait till next year for me to be able to compare them with a tape measure though.

Single ECU for the engine and gearbox on mine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AFAIK the 5 sp has a combined Engine & ECT ECU, while the 4 sp boxes have an ECU separate from the Engine ECU.

This text is from the Introduction of the 100 in 1998. The reference ("no changes") is the 80 series.
5294492066_a74a17f16d_b.jpg

Back