Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is coronsvirus

Shayne

Guru
Well this explains it all a little better than what we have been hearing, worth the read. FEELING CONFUSED as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand... It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics. Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot. Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off. Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be.. H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too. Fast forward. Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery” This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it. And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs.. That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine. We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu. Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation... And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next. Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now. #flattenthecurve. Stay home folks.

Good post Shayne.. I've been following this and literally shitting myself since early January.. Yes very scared and today "risked it" by going to the shop and being told today that theres some one with "it" in my local town..

I spent from late January to a week or so ago being told by people that its nothing...wtf they haven't even done any research on it!!! People in denial and have seen a few driving miles around the country thinking "I don't know what the fuss is about!" Spoke to one who said it was nothing today and now eating their words..

I have spent January and February going in and out of hospital to visit my late Aunty and each time been thinking of this virus and wishing that I wasn't going into a hospital!

Best way to keep your hands clean and to avoid touching anything when you're out and about. Only touch your face when you're at home and after you've washed your hands well.. really hope that this doesn't mutate again.

I'm definitely staying home now.. have plenty food.. not enough beer... and not enough toilet roll lol!

Feeling confused? Not really. I’m taking a much simpler approach. I’ll either catch it or I won’t and if I do I’ll either survive it or I won’t. The latter I have no real control over, its in the lap of the gods you could say or if your numbers on it etc., or whatever other paraphrase you want to use. The former, well I can take all the advised precautions to maximise my chances of NOT catching it however slim they may be.

Last edited:
@iwan_t24 If you've "not enough beer" I've got some Corona Beer I could sell you.:)

You could also adopt the 'bush' approach to "not enough toilet roll" it's easy when you know how, never mastered it myself. :thumbup: :laughing-rolling:

440px-Corona-6Pack.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeling confused? Not really. I’m taking a much simpler approach. I’ll either catch it or I won’t and if I do I’ll either survive it or I won’t. The latter I have no real control over, its in the lap of the gods you could say or if your numbers on it etc., or whatever other paraphrase you want to use. The former, well I can take all the advised precautions to maximise my chances of NOT catching it however slim they may be.
As long as your only "feeling confused" and not feeling as if you have a temperature or feel like you have a new and persistent cough, then you'll be fine. :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

have plenty food.. not enough beer... and not enough toilet roll lol!

Found this in the interweb for you all.:orcs-buttshake:

10 Ways to Wipe Your Butt For Free

1. Grow your own. There are multiple soft plants out there that grow perfect leaves to be used as toilet paper. Plants with soft, wide leaves are ideal. UPDATE: 10/21/2018. It is now been over five years since I purchased toilet paper. Currently I grow my own. The plant I grow is Plectranthus barbatus (common name: Blue Spur Flower). Here’s a photo of it growing at my place, where I use it with my outdoor compost toilet and you can see the plants and me talking about it in this video.From what I’ve read, this plant grows well in zones 8-10. I am in zone 9b in Orlando, Florida. You can read more about this plant on wikipedia, on this site, and by simply doing a web search for “Plectranthus barbatus” I do not know if it grows from seed. I started mine from cutting. I do not ship and don’t have a source for where you can purchase. If you are in the Orlando area, you could join Orlando Permaculture and get some from a local permaculturist.

2. Leaves. This is easy if you’re in the woods taking a squat, but you could also grab a bunch of your favorite leaves and bring them home with you. You’ll want to compost them using a compost toilet. Check out my compost toilet to learn about this.
  3. Dumpster dive at pharmacies for perfectly good toilet paper. I’ve often found unopened twelve and twenty-four packs of toilet paper. This can be due to a torn or squished package or because someone stole a roll so the package was incomplete. It is in no way contaminated or dirty.
  4. Smooth stones. I’ve done this quite a few times while out in the woods and found this to be pretty great!
  5. Go to fast food restaurants and pick up the dozens of unused napkins that people leave on their table. People often take a stack of napkins just to throw half away. (I’m not saying to mooch off the restaurant. I am saying to take napkins that would have gone into the garbage unused.)
  6. Cloth wipes. Make nice little wipes out of old t-shirts and then wash them just as you would washable diapers. Here’s a guide if to want to do it.
  7. Newspaper. Grab it out of the recycling bin or trash can and put it to good use. Don’t flush newspaper or anything else more tough than toilet paper as it can clog the toilet. Compost it. In many countries they have a garbage can for used toilet paper and you could do that as well. It’s no more gross than throwing away used diapers for all you parents out there.
  8. Use a bidet. (Ok, I guess this isn’t quite free since you have to pay for the water, but it’s far cheaper than toilet paper).
  9. Use a bum gun. This is a little spray nozzle next to the toilet to spray your butt clean with water.
  10. Even simpler than installing a bidet or bum gun is to put a little kettle by the toilet and pour water onto your bum area. I had a roommate from India and he taught me how to do this. It was awesome.
Note: Some of these options will involve a compost toilet. You don’t want to flush things down the toilet that would clog the toilet or the system. You can also use a normal flush toilet but instead of flushing the “toilet paper”, have a separate bin and compost it, or just put it in the garbage. In many countries they have a garbage can for used toilet paper.

25,000 trees are dumped into the landfill each day from our toilet paper usage. It also takes a lot of water and energy to create toilet paper. Then it’s got to be shipped which burns fossil fuels of course. Trees chopped down, water wasted, and fossil fuels burned just to wipe your butt? Toilet paper is a huge environmental nuisance and a complete waste of money. Maybe it’s time you stop wiping your butt with your money?

I would just like to add, I have never tried any of these methods myself.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:text-goodpost:Good post Shayne.. That is fecking frightening.
I have to visit hospital for dialysis three times a week and those places are full of sick people :angry-screaming: plus I am in the most susceptible age group, 77, trying to minimise the risk by not learving the house for any other reason, my 4x4 club has already cancelled all events, one of my mates was going to come to me to help work on the Cruise that's off for the foreseeable future.
Narnia.jpg

:text-goodpost:Good post Shayne.. That is fecking frightening.
I have to visit hospital for dialysis three times a week and those places are full of sick people :angry-screaming: plus I am in the most susceptible age group, 77, trying to minimise the risk by not learving the house for any other reason, my 4x4 club has already cancelled all events, one of my mates was going to come to me to help work on the Cruise that's off for the foreseeable future.View attachment 164473
I've been to Narnia, theres no toilet roll there either, or beer for that matter.

Hey jibberjabber, is that corona beer an antidote to the virus ?
I think it's an antidote to something but not sure if it's to a virus, but it could make you forget about a virus for a while. :)

Sorry just trying to make a little light out of a very bad situation.

Profiteering bastards!

dettol.jpg

Great post @Shayne

for me the scariest part is not the disease, it’s what the economy of the country and the world is going to look like after 3,6 or 9 months of isolation and not working. Yes the chancellor is planning to borrow all this money to give to all and sundry, but who exactly does he think is going to lend it to him, and if they do at what rate.

Stay safe out there folks

Good post Shayne.. I've been following this and literally shitting myself since early January.. Yes very scared and today "risked it" by going to the shop and being told today that theres some one with "it" in my local town..

I spent from late January to a week or so ago being told by people that its nothing...wtf they haven't even done any research on it!!! People in denial and have seen a few driving miles around the country thinking "I don't know what the fuss is about!" Spoke to one who said it was nothing today and now eating their words..

I have spent January and February going in and out of hospital to visit my late Aunty and each time been thinking of this virus and wishing that I wasn't going into a hospital!

Best way to keep your hands clean and to avoid touching anything when you're out and about. Only touch your face when you're at home and after you've washed your hands well.. really hope that this doesn't mutate again.

I'm definitely staying home now.. have plenty food.. not enough beer... and not enough toilet roll lol!

you not seen the latest vid from Ricky from Boston iwan ?

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,

Then you understand laughter is the best medicine when all else fails .

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,

Then you understand laughter is the best medicine when all else fails .
If, is a very big word, If, Rudyard Kipling said it, didn't he make exceedinigly good cakes?

@iwan_t24 If you've "not enough beer" I've got some Corona Beer I could sell you.:)

You could also adopt the 'bush' approach to "not enough toilet roll" it's easy when you know how, never mastered it myself. :thumbup: :laughing-rolling:

View attachment 164472

Found this in the interweb for you all.:orcs-buttshake:

10 Ways to Wipe Your Butt For Free

1. Grow your own. There are multiple soft plants out there that grow perfect leaves to be used as toilet paper. Plants with soft, wide leaves are ideal. UPDATE: 10/21/2018. It is now been over five years since I purchased toilet paper. Currently I grow my own. The plant I grow is Plectranthus barbatus (common name: Blue Spur Flower). Here’s a photo of it growing at my place, where I use it with my outdoor compost toilet and you can see the plants and me talking about it in this video.From what I’ve read, this plant grows well in zones 8-10. I am in zone 9b in Orlando, Florida. You can read more about this plant on wikipedia, on this site, and by simply doing a web search for “Plectranthus barbatus” I do not know if it grows from seed. I started mine from cutting. I do not ship and don’t have a source for where you can purchase. If you are in the Orlando area, you could join Orlando Permaculture and get some from a local permaculturist.

2. Leaves. This is easy if you’re in the woods taking a squat, but you could also grab a bunch of your favorite leaves and bring them home with you. You’ll want to compost them using a compost toilet. Check out my compost toilet to learn about this.
  3. Dumpster dive at pharmacies for perfectly good toilet paper. I’ve often found unopened twelve and twenty-four packs of toilet paper. This can be due to a torn or squished package or because someone stole a roll so the package was incomplete. It is in no way contaminated or dirty.
  4. Smooth stones. I’ve done this quite a few times while out in the woods and found this to be pretty great!
  5. Go to fast food restaurants and pick up the dozens of unused napkins that people leave on their table. People often take a stack of napkins just to throw half away. (I’m not saying to mooch off the restaurant. I am saying to take napkins that would have gone into the garbage unused.)
  6. Cloth wipes. Make nice little wipes out of old t-shirts and then wash them just as you would washable diapers. Here’s a guide if to want to do it.
  7. Newspaper. Grab it out of the recycling bin or trash can and put it to good use. Don’t flush newspaper or anything else more tough than toilet paper as it can clog the toilet. Compost it. In many countries they have a garbage can for used toilet paper and you could do that as well. It’s no more gross than throwing away used diapers for all you parents out there.
  8. Use a bidet. (Ok, I guess this isn’t quite free since you have to pay for the water, but it’s far cheaper than toilet paper).
  9. Use a bum gun. This is a little spray nozzle next to the toilet to spray your butt clean with water.
  10. Even simpler than installing a bidet or bum gun is to put a little kettle by the toilet and pour water onto your bum area. I had a roommate from India and he taught me how to do this. It was awesome.
Note: Some of these options will involve a compost toilet. You don’t want to flush things down the toilet that would clog the toilet or the system. You can also use a normal flush toilet but instead of flushing the “toilet paper”, have a separate bin and compost it, or just put it in the garbage. In many countries they have a garbage can for used toilet paper.

25,000 trees are dumped into the landfill each day from our toilet paper usage. It also takes a lot of water and energy to create toilet paper. Then it’s got to be shipped which burns fossil fuels of course. Trees chopped down, water wasted, and fossil fuels burned just to wipe your butt? Toilet paper is a huge environmental nuisance and a complete waste of money. Maybe it’s time you stop wiping your butt with your money?

I would just like to add, I have never tried any of these methods myself.

Thanks... but the next time you feel the need to target someones post and then you come up with these examples of shite.... remember that the post wasn't written for you in the first place!

OK?

Thanks... but the next time you feel the need to target someones post and then you come up with these examples of shite.... remember that the post wasn't written for you in the first place!

OK?

You Said,"I'm definitely staying home now.. have plenty food.. not enough beer... and not enough toilet roll lol!"

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind next time I have "examples of shite" to post :thumbup: LOL

You remember your post was written on a 'Public Fourm' and therefore can be read by anyone, and can be 'commented on' by any member, thats why it's called a 'Fourm':) LOL

"Target your post" you made the comments in your post #2 that you were short of 'Loo Roll' and short of 'Beer' with a 'LOL!' at the end, I made a general reply, with good intent, no malice and no prejudice, so with regard to your comment on Me 'Targeting your post" you are wrong, and if theres any targeting going on it's from you. :icon-biggrin: LOL

Thanks for your constructive criticism :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Hope you are well, stay safe, have a nice day. :thumbup: LOL

OK ? Mate. :expressionless: LOL

Back