What is it? On a 24v engine

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
The bit with the yellow sticker?

IMG00190-20101023-1212.jpg

Sorry Paul, can't help you with that one, other than mine doesn't have it :?:

In fact, my inlet is a lot cleaner with no bits hanging off it or brackets for bits for that matter.

It was disconected on mine but must have only recently come off as the terminals were very clean. Might be something to do with the egr as yours doesnt have that either :evil:

Paul said:
It was disconected on mine but must have only recently come off as the terminals were very clean. Might be something to do with the egr as yours doesnt have that either :evil:

Thats true, simple motor for a simple guy :D

Looks like a map sensor, look closely on the yellow bit I bet it says "turbo pressure sensor"

Re: What is it? On a 24v engine and some other stuff

I reconnected it today and also went through all the vacuum hoses and found a few bad ends so sorted them.
Also i found that the throttle linkage was catching the main fuel hose on high throttle and has nearly rubbed through, it was even pulling it across and could be the cause of the performance problem as now it goes really well, better than ever really :thumbup:
The next job is to do the fuel pick up and tank clean out as recently she goes sluggish when i've been off roading or filling the tank but is then alright when left overnight.
Couldn't believe it on the motorway today, went to Christchurch and went faster than i'm allowed to do all the way there and back withloads of power in reserve :dance:
If she goes this well on her own steam then i wont be fiting that intercooler.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I keep thinking about an intercooler but just can't warrant it. Mine goes really well, or at least well enough for me and I've never felt the need for the extra power.
I also wonder about an intercooler possibly robbing engine life in the long run :?: as I intend on keeping mine for some time yet.

What i was also getting is that proper roar when a big diesel is under load and pulling well.
Not sure if any of it is connected but the cruise control on the IP seems to use masses of vacuum pipes, does anyone know if it is simply a throttle control or it does affect the fuelling also?

If the vacuum pipes (actually they probably should be called pressure pipes due to the turbo pressures) are disconnected you won't get the on and off boost fuelling changes - the diaphram onthe top of the pump needs to be hooked up in order to the do fuelling properly.

Ecky Thump said:
I also wonder about an intercooler possibly robbing engine life in the long run :?: as I intend on keeping mine for some time yet.
Why do you say this, Les?? :think: An intercooler will increase engine life as it makes the EGTs a bit lower and makes the engine operate more efficiently. Radically upping the fuelling is what may reduce engine life - if done in conjunction with an intercooler being fitted, increasing fuelling within sensible reason shouldn't have much impact on the engine life. All else being equal, adding an intercooler should increase engine life.

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
Why do you say this, Les?? :think: An intercooler will increase engine life as it makes the EGTs a bit lower and makes the engine operate more efficiently. Radically upping the fuelling is what may reduce engine life - if done in conjunction with an intercooler being fitted, increasing fuelling within sensible reason shouldn't have much impact on the engine life. All else being equal, adding an intercooler should increase engine life.

Cheers,
EGT aside, Would the added torque and power not put extra strain on the components? BeBs etc?

Andrew Prince said:
[quote="Ecky Thump":14vyobdn]I also wonder about an intercooler possibly robbing engine life in the long run :?: as I intend on keeping mine for some time yet.

Cheers,[/quote:14vyobdn]

Good point well made Andrew. I just remember my GS1000 when I fitted a GPZ750 Turbo to it. The engine was wrecked after a few months as it was producing far more horse power than it was designed to give.
I appreciate a 80 series engine and an intercooler aren't in this type of mod but thought that it would be a similar process, all being a lot slower.

How similar is the 80 lump to the 100 lump? Do they have an intercooler as standard even though controlled by an ECU?

Paul said:
How similar is the 80 lump to the 100 lump? Do they have an intercooler as standard even though controlled by an ECU?
:thumbup: Yes, the HD-FTE is essentially electronically controlled HD-FT with an intercooler. Although they produce more power than the HD-FT, they are not renowned for going bang - hence my comments to Les about adding an intercooler. :ugeek:

But then i suppose with an ECU, the engine can be controlled so if things like temperatures/pressures rise then the engine can be limited automatically whereas the 80 will just keep going unless the right foot is eased off.

The turbo will be working harder and is probably the part most likely to have a shorter working life IMO but when you're taking advantage of the extra power everything will be working that bit harder. It would be interesting to know if in a hot environment the intercooler ends up giving hotter intake air than without what with heat soak and running a higher boost pressure?

Generally the 1HD* engines are considered to be pretty robust and in marine form under the Yanmar name they are pushed to 300+ horse power.

So from an engine point of view tweaking it with an intercooler isn't a major issue, however as Jon points out long term it can put a strain on the turbo, although if you aim to try to keep the boost below 1bar, it's not a major problem.

If you want to take the boost higher then it is worth getting a better turbo and there are 'sport' turbos around the place.

Most of the running gear does appear to stand up to the extra power, however the auto boxes often take a lot more of a hammering so you need to firstly look to fit a decent oil cooler and change the oil regularly but also if you can afford it go for an upgraded valve body and torque convertor which will allow better oil flow, keep the temps down and provide better changes.

Thanks for that Julian

At least I was partially correct in my thinking.
I will bypass the intercooler, as gearbox mods etc are beyond the purse strings capacity to cope. Plus the fact i'm getting older and the extra power isn't an issue for me.

Back