Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is the best engine upgrade for a 1B driven 1983 BJ43?

KevinBJ43

Country Flag
sri_lanka
Hello Everyone,

Hope all of you are safe and sound during these pandemic times.

So my 1983 BJ43 runs on its stock diesel 2977CC B engine along with the stock transmission (4 forward) but my ultimate goal is to modify the engine by fitting a turbo (after doing the necessary modifications to the stock engine to accommodate the additional power such as the pistons etc.) and also upgrading the transmission to a 5 speed. however i am also contemplating swapping the engine with a stock turbo engine perhaps a 1HD or a 1KZ engine. along with suitable mods to the transmission and differentials etc. However, I have a strong conviction that if i remove the heart of my Landcruiser that is the engine, it becomes whole different vehicle with a Landcruiser shell hence my plan to modify the existing engine to fit a turbo. but then again, i dont want to do it if is an altogether futile plan. The other issue is the existing block it self which has obviously weakened since the time it left the factory due to rust and wear. is there a way to re-enforce this same block successfully? all this is to make sure it can accommodate the additional power after installing the turbo.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The B engine runs sleeves so replacing pistons would require the sleeves to be renewed as well plus the BE shells as well and making sure that the other components are not worn would make the engine more than capable of taking a turbo and the extra power created. Finding a 5 speed box might by a bit more difficult but IIRC they were fitted to the 3B motors towards the end of the run but then the same engine was used in some different models.
Fitting an 1HD or a 1KZ will open up a completely different can of worms and IIRC the transmissions are longer so that would need the cross member repositioning and a myriad of other things to sort.
43s are quite rare so, if it were me, I'd go the turbo route on the original but reconditioned engine. If the ultimate sale value is a consideration then, speaking as a person with a modified truck (2H + 5spd, etc), stick with the turbo mod. Not that modified trucks are problematic to sell but it is a smaller potential market.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Kevin,

The B engine runs sleeves so replacing pistons would require the sleeves to be renewed as well plus the BE shells as well and making sure that the other components are not worn would make the engine more than capable of taking a turbo and the extra power created. Finding a 5 speed box might by a bit more difficult but IIRC they were fitted to the 3B motors towards the end of the run but then the same engine was used in some different models.
Fitting an 1HD or a 1KZ will open up a completely different can of worms and IIRC the transmissions are longer so that would need the cross member repositioning and a myriad of other things to sort.
43s are quite rare so, if it were me, I'd go the turbo route on the original but reconditioned engine. If the ultimate sale value is a consideration then, speaking as a person with a modified truck (2H + 5spd, etc), stick with the turbo mod. Not that modified trucks are problematic to sell but it is a smaller potential market.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

Thank you very much this information!

Suppose i do all the necessary mods to the engine and install a turbo to the original B engine, would it be a huge disadvantage to leave the original transmission (assuming it is in perfect condition) instead of replacing it with a 5 speed? And yes sale value is also something i take into consideration before doing any modifications.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

My understanding is that the turbo will increase the power produced by the engine but it will not increase the engine's maximum, safe revs - meaning that if the current red line for the engine is 4000 rpm then that will stay the same. So I think that by retaining the 4 speed your top speed will not increase but you will get there quicker.
But then how often would a 40/43 hit top speed?! They are after all built to go anywhere but not necessarily that quickly.
IMO it would not be a problem to retain the 4 speed.

I would think you will need to fit a boost gauge and a rev counter (if it isn't fitted with one) but these can be mounted using the dash board return so therefore without detriment to the original dash board.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Kevin,

My understanding is that the turbo will increase the power produced by the engine but it will not increase the engine's maximum, safe revs - meaning that if the current red line for the engine is 4000 rpm then that will stay the same. So I think that by retaining the 4 speed your top speed will not increase but you will get there quicker.
But then how often would a 40/43 hit top speed?! They are after all built to go anywhere but not necessarily that quickly.
IMO it would not be a problem to retain the 4 speed.

I would think you will need to fit a boost gauge and a rev counter (if it isn't fitted with one) but these can be mounted using the dash board return so therefore without detriment to the original dash board.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

Excellent point. My intention is to improve off road performance meaning getting out of mudholes and ditches when in the bush much quicker. And yes off-road rigs do not make good street racers and dragsters!

Based on what you said, trying to artificially increase the top speed beyond what was originally intended for the engine and gearbox is a detrimental thing isn't it? whereas improving ACCELERATION is much safer for the engine in terms modifying the engine to artificially improve performance.

Thank you so much for all your advice!

Kind Regards,
Kevin

15BT or even BFT seems to be all the rage, There's a facebook group for them. It's a 4 cylinder multivalve 4 litre and it fits in easily apparently as its the last in the same family of engines..
Low down torque galore. Mines in a bus and I can't vouch for it personally cos It's just had its injectors, pump etc replaced and its in the process of having a turbo added but maybe look for the group on FB.
You find them in Toyota Dyna and Toyoace trucks, coaster buses and the legendary Megacrusier. It produces about 300 nm of torque and I've been told to expect 400 -450 nm depending on the boost I choose.
If you end up going down that road I've got a reconditioned injector pump for the none turbo engine as I had it done and then decided on forced induction and had a second one done to suit the mad boost of my G-turbo.
Yes that's me I'm not ashamed ...if I end up in an invalid carriage it'll probably have nitrous and meth injection.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
15BT engines sound interesting. Do the guys who rave about them mate the the gearboxes to the transfer box so enabling 4wd and off roading? Perhaps i should have a look at the FB page.

Interesting though

Regards,

Rodger

15BT engines sound interesting. Do the guys who rave about them mate the the gearboxes to the transfer box so enabling 4wd and off roading? Perhaps i should have a look at the FB page.

Interesting though

Regards,

Rodger

The Group is 15B-F/FT/FTE engine conversions. They're putting them in 40's, 60's, 70's and even 80's. . Just glanced at the group just now and all functions are retained. There's a guy in Malaysia doing some off road competition racing with one.

Had a look at the 15BT group and there certainly some very impressive engineering shown there and the engines themselves do look awesome.
I read a couple of the reports relating to 40 series trucks and the problems involved and, although relatively easily surmountable if you have the right kit in the workshop, IMO this not what Kevin is aiming for as it does involve some modifications that would be a PITA to reinstate should he wish to return the truck to stock.
I can see why people are attracted to using these engines and if I were (much) younger I would be tempted myself. I shall merely content myself by reading about their exploits. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Rodger

Thank you very much guys for this info! im relatively new to this sphere so these are very useful points.

However, i am hoping to retain the original engine but make it compatible with a turbo charger meaning that i will have to do whatever necessary alterations to make it more resilient to the extra power as my stock 1B engine (diesel) did not come with a factory turbo. As Rodger pointed out by retaining the original engine i can also retain more market value as well

Back