Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel sizes

wangjjang

Am i right in thinking that the early 80s came with 15s as standard and later ones with 16s? In which year did they change?

What makes you ask? Ive had the pm from you. The early trucks will obviously tske the later 16inch wheels. the later style alloys also change again where the wheel nuts change from the cone style to the flat washer on the 95 onwards.

As Karl has mentioned above, there are different nuts used on the two different types of 16" alloy. This info is from an earlier thread:
The 16" wheels fitted to the 12 valve models use the conical nuts to centralise and clamp the wheel to the hub. The later wheels as fitted to the 24 valve models, use the later style nuts that have the washer. The wheel is centralised by the protruding section of the nut that locates into the holes, but the clamping force that holds the wheel to the hub, is transmitted by the washer contacting with the flat surface on the rim.

Just to confuse matters, and if I remember correctly, the 24 valve washer type nuts do have the conical end on them. This could be to allow them to mount a spare steel wheel, which requires the conical nut to locate and clamp it into place.

The 12/24 valve distinction is just my working knowledge on the issue, and shouldn't be regarded as fact. I'm sure someone else might be able to shed some more info on the specifics.

If you mix the different type alloys and nuts, the alloy wheel will not be properly clamped and centralised onto the hub, and there is a strong risk of losing a wheel.
Which is from this thread: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/45908-2-x-80-Series-Alloy-Wheels

Cheers.

The reason for the change from 15" to 16" (so I'm told) is that they increased the size of the brake caliper.

Mine is a '95 on 16" but I tried 15" and they fit, but there's only 2mm clearance between the caliper and the rim which is too close. I've heard of guys grinding more clearance off the caliper casting, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing.

Spacers can overcome the problem or different offset wheels... :shifty:

Back