Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheelskins steering wheel cover

DaveN

I bought one of these years ago, and have decided to fit it now!

Any tips? It says to use dummy stitches where the spokes are, but won't this leave it baggy?

I did mine recently.
As i remember the whole thing was really tight to get on the wheel so when you stitch even with dummy ones it moulds around the wheel, just make sure you use the same spacing/amount of dummy stitches on each spoke so they all match, might be worth adjusting the leather band around the wheel so the tension is even all round as when you stitch it will show up any loose/tight areas.
The wax on the thread is really good helping the thread to pass through the leather.
Been good for two years now.

I have also fitted one of these! Follow the directions and you'll be fine - the dummy stitches obviously just fill up the punched holes - as Paul has said, the circumferential fit is tight and pulling the stitches closest to the spokes tight will keep everything looking good.

One tip - if your existing leather is a bit tatty, has holes or missing patches, you need to fill them up to get an even, smooth base. Either use masking tape if there's just a rough worn area to be built-up or glue in some patches (tennis racket grip is a good source) to fill any missing patches. If you don't ensure an even base to fit the wheelskin over, it shows through the finished product and you have ridges and depressions - the wheelskin is that snug ;)

Cheers,

Thanks guy, I'll give it a go at the weekend.

The original wheel isn't too bad - a bit cracked and the shine has gone in a few places. The bigger problem is it's a bit sticky!

I fitted mine about 5 years ago with fishing braid.
A stitch loosened on the braid last year, but the wheelskin still remains firmly attched to the steeringwheel. It has almost glued itself on.

Ha, I bought mine about 5 years ago, then it went missing, and I found it again yesterday, so figured I'd make a start. Better late than never.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back