Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When is a BOAT not a BOAT?

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Just been checking out on Google street view the start of a BOAT fairly local to me, there appears to be a No Vehicular Access sign right at the start.... WTF does that mean?

Well presumably it's not the same as 'No Entry'

How old is the street view image - has the sign been removed since the image was taken?

I went along it a few years ago and I seem to remember the sign being there then too....

I just can't see the reasoning for having a 'No Motor Vehicles' sign either end of a BOAT which, as we know, means Byway Open to All Traffic :think:

That boat is no longer drivable. :icon-sad:

I know it is still shown as being a byway on the OS map, but if you try and drive it, all trace of the track/ROW ends just after the stone circle.

On the map its shown as going through a small section of woodland, before joining a road the other side, but theres a fence around the whole area of woodland, and no sign of a track leading into it. :thumbdown:

Have a look here Ben, if you zoom right in on it and then click the Red route it has some info.... no idea what it means though.

You have to tick the 'Rights of way' box to show the routes.

Route Code0515/45/7
Status4
Legal Type0
StatusDescBOAT
LegalTypeDescROW
PriorityCategory A
Length734.47917

The classification of the highway hasn't changed, so it is still a BOAT, but if a Traffic Regulation Order has been made to exclude MPV's then that amends or overrides the normal permitted rights. It is more complicated and expensive to change the classification so they just use a TRO to get the job done.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back