Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where next - Everest North base camp

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I am looking for another challenge, and have been reading about everest base camps.
There are 2 base camps.
One in China, Tibet, which is the north base camp, and the other one in Nepal which is the south base camp.

They are both around the same altitude, at about 5,500 meters (18,000 feet)
I have read many trekking reports, and it looks like the easier base camp is the north one, in China.
There is partial vehicle access for a period in the summer, then a trek of between 5 and 12 days, which includes acclimatisation days.

Here is a long shot, has any one ever done this, or does any one know a friend who may have done it?

I am just a little concerned about my fittness, and stamina, bear in mind,
Mt Snowden is 1085 meters, = done, easy piece of cake
Mt Taisahn is about 1600 meters = done and easy
Mt Huashan is about 2160 meters = done and getting tougher.
EBC = 5,500 could maybe not do it, and struggle.

I just think I may be expecting too much from this old body, and I may have missed my chance.

Gra.

Sounds great. I would think the key is acclimatisation and a lot of it.

And with this comment i don't want to pour water on the idea...
I knew a guy about 18 years back who did it. he was also a competing tri-athlete. He said the walk (!) to base camp it was the hardest thing he had ever done in his life. And that he was thrilled he had done it.

I have some mates who went to the south base camp a few (10) years ago in their mid-20s. Apparently the toughest bit is getting used to the altitude. Obviously its a fairly challenging walk but the altitude makes you very tired apparently. Being fit helps but their opinion was anyone physically able should be able to do it - altitude sickness is the big risk and this can strike anyone, from superfit athlete to geriatric couch potato so a complete lottery.

I reckon you should go for it, especially as you access to the Tibetan side :thumbup:

One of my brothers did it. I will ask him which camp. He took school kids and played a game of cricket there and was interviewed by BBC afterwards. Some kids got altitude sickness and turned back before the basecamp

Many thanks, for some great pointers and ideas.
Beijing to Lhasa on the train takes just 48 hours.

http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#Lhasa%20&%20Tibet

Quoted,,,,
"The first regular passenger trains started running over the new railway to Lhasa in Tibet on 1 July 2006. The Qinghai-Tibet Railway is the highest in the world, climbing from 2,829m above sea level at Golmud (Geermu) to 3,641m at Lhasa, much of it built on permafrost. Its highest point is in the Tanggula Pass, at 16,640 feet (just over 5,000m) above sea level. Because of the lack of oxygen at that altitude, all passenger coaches have extra oxygen pumped into them, and oxygen is available to passengers through tubes if they have problems. "

From Lhasa to Everest North base camp is about 600km (400 miles).
I am quite excited, and feel up for it since it is relativly close.

All the more comments gladly received.

Gra.

Back