Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where to fit a Compass in a new 71?

rob rule

As we often go deep into the desert areas, relying on maps and GPS, I thought it wise to upgrade with a decent compass. (no electronics / Batteries, Always on and independent from USof A) I would like to optimally install my new Ritchie Compass in the Shorty. Any suggestions, as the compasses are affected by nearby metallic objects.
The manual (Obviously intended for marine installation as the Ritchie is a yacht compass) suggests at least two feet from any metal (Yeah-right)
the Compass is equipped with some adjusting (compensating) bars.
Further, the instruction manual advises that the mounting point is preferably out of direct sunlight...
I have tried mounting the thing next to the ventilation controls, where its out of direct sunlight - but the close proximity to the metal subframe messes things around.
Next attempt will be glass mounted just below the rear mirror - unless a better idea comes forth.

Any suggestions?

How big is it?

Any pics?

I'm thinking maybe some where around the center console/arm rest as it would be out of direct sunlight and not too close to anything metal. :think:

SAE70 (Steven) used to have a small suction cup mounted compass on the windscreen of his 90 series. :)

How big is it?

Any pics?

I'm thinking maybe some where around the center console/arm rest as it would be out of direct sunlight and not too close to anything metal. :think:

SAE70 (Steven) used to have a small suction cup mounted compass on the windscreen of his 90 series. :)
ritchie compass.jpg

probably 75mm by 75mm

When i get to the interior of my lj70 I'm planning on taking the alti meter and inclometer out of the dash pod and replacing them with the setup on the 90's pajeros. I'll keep the pod but replace everything else. Thats the plan anyway but mightnt work out. Maybe something similar could be an option for u ou

I do not know enough about compasses!
they are fascinating things.
I know you get some compasses fitted into car dash setups - have they weakened the magnets in order that they are not affected by the metal surroundings?
Are they pseudo-electronic versions?
Ritchie was not kidding when their installation manual recommended 2 feet clearance.
I have stuck my compass more or less in the center of the windscreen (bugger the direct sunlight thing for now) and it's still affected by me moving a pair of made-in-china scissors across the outside of the windscreen about 6 inches away!
My plan is to trial this position to find at least some place where the compass behaves correctly.
((the other issue is to what do you compare - the GPS? another compass? Dead Reckoning?))

I've a flip-up compass mounted lower down on my transmission tunnel near my hi/lo box lever. It's as mad as a box of frogs with the engine on, so I've a decent portable back up I keep in the glovebox.

Owen

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back