Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which bike carrier?

I have one that works well enough for 3 bikes, have put 4 on at times.
its normally a tow ball mounted socket with two liftout bars that rise, kick out to miss the spare wheel and then a horizontal bar running back off each to mount the bikes. Its very simple but works fine, I've driven Dublin to Sommerset a couple of times with it.
The standard socket is mounted on the missus's xc90 as she doesnt need the tow bar. I made up a new socket that sits inboard on my towbar so that I can still tow even with bikes mounted, I think you can buy this off the shelf also. It just clears the spare wheel so I cant open the rear door at all when its on which can be a pain on a longer journey if you pack something into the boot which you then need to get.
I'll try find the make, I bought it from the UK.

Just a point on the trailer idea. I have a lovely big Ivor Williams tow a van trailer which has loads of space and is great for throwing bikes and all sorts into and reasonable secure. Problem is my speed limit is 50mph when towing, that used to never be inforced here in Ireland but times have changed. Its great on a short journey but sitting on a motorway at 50mph for an hour or two is no ones idea of fun, so then comes the penatly points !!!
Myself and a couple of friends ended up buying a van between us to put the motocross bikes into.

I've got a Witter tow ball mounted carrier for 2 bikes. You can get a cranked version that comes outside the spare wheel.
I use the ordinary carrier because I've usually got a caravan on the back and then the problem becomes one of jack-knife.
I'm stuck with taking the spare off and carrying it inside the car

Maxxraxx

I use my cycle rack daily and year round as I commute by bike after dropping my kids at school. I bought a maxxraxx.co.uk/bike_racks_car_cycle_carriers_products/info_4x4_max4_flange.html
a few years ago and it works great. It has a flange that bolts behind the towbar ball. Probably wouldn't work if you have a removeable towbar.
Upsides are
1) you can tow a trailer or RV at the same time as you have bikes on the back (depending how long the trailer arm is!).
2) very easy to hang bikes on.
3) easy to remove and install the rack (it's mounted with one large pin through the flange). This has a padlock on it, but I just use a sprint pin instead.
4) can carry 3-4 bikes (although when you get heavy they recommend a strap between the back door and the end of the rack which is included with the unit).

The big downsides are
1) it is a fiddle to open the rear door with the rack on. As I said, it's easy enough to remove the bikes/rack if necessary.
2) Over time the rack appears to bend downwards. This has the benefit of giving more clearance for the door, but I think I may need to do a little bending back and welding soon!

This is the one I have.
http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/hang-on-tb-rack.php

I use it reasonable often on mine or the wifes car, it kicks out enough to clear the spare wheel and it works very well, its simple and effective.

pendle bike 1.JPG

Back