Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

which oil suction pump

Rob

Garage
I have a Clarke 500ml oil suction pump which i got from machine mart and it is useless. After using it 2 or 3 times it started leaking oil from every part :shock:. I would say that i takes extra effort to design it in such a way that it simultaneously leaks fluid from every part of the gun (including parts where there should be negative pressure!). I would like to get an oil suction pump that actually works, does anyone have one? If so what brand?

I know there are other solutions out there for filling your diffs and gearboxes but i would like to have a oil suction gun as it small/light, its easy to use and if it works it is not messy.

is it leaking around the plunger rod at the top? You might find that stops once the plunger material has chance to swell a bit for being exposed to oil? I *think* mine came from MM and leaked a bit at first and of course if you point it down hill some will come out of the pipe plus you need to wipe the end of the pipe that was submerged when you withdraw it :mrgreen:

It leaks around the plunger on the top and around the bottom. It seems the the metal case itself isn't oil tight and the rubber seal inside is not doing its job. When you suck up oil and reach the end of the plunger stroke huge volumes of oil gush out the top. You can imagine what happens if you half fill it and then proceed to use above your head :evil:

Jon you say yours got better after some use? I have pumped around 10 litres of oil with it and seems to be getting worse. Jon is yours definitely Clarke as the one you showed was blue, Clarke only do a stainless/chrome finish AFAIK.

Mine has SAMOA stamped on the side and is painted grey. I said I think it came from MM :) I've had it a few, maybe 5, years now but I seem to remember it leaking the first few times I used it but not any more. Have a look at the plunger material to see if it looks faulty or like it might swell a little.

I have the chrome one from machine mart.

it leaks a bit on diffs and gearbox oil.

power steering fluids a different game - bit like trying to carry water in your hands.

wild guess - would a soak in brake fluid swell the rubber part of the piston to improve the seal?

adrianr said:
wild guess - would a soak in brake fluid swell the rubber part of the piston to improve the seal?
Will need to keep re-soaking it or will the brake fluid permanently swell the seal?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought a cheapo electric oil-exchange pump after struggling with the same problems with the 0.5 l suction as described here.
Not the best, but found out that as long as the intake hose restricts the flow more than the outlet, it doesn't leak. I.e. it can't take overpressure. Filled up all the diffs & boxes without many drops outside; even 9 litres into the auto, in one go.

I have ample supplies of 60ml medical syringes which will suck-up most things!

60ml sounds a bit small...

Forgot to update, i went to MM with my original receipt and got a replacement which works for now, all they asked was what did i used it on, seems they get allot of complaints on their Clarke product.

Back