Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which penetrating oil?

Andrew Prince

Bit of a naff question really - I have used 3-in-one penetrating oil and a Halfords own brand and neither was great. So I was wondering what people recommend - I'm sure I have also been too impatient and not let the oil soak long enough and do its job :oops:
So folks, what do you use :?:

Cheers,

My farther in law swears by duck oil, it does seem very good from recent experience

I think this is going to lead to a list of all the penetrating oils on the market :lol:

I use GT-85.

Julian said:
My farther in law swears by duck oil, it does seem very good from recent experience
I've been using this for years and it's always done the trick for me, I prefer it to WD40 for penetrating rust etc

Ian Rubie said:
I think this is going to lead to a list of all the penetrating oils on the market :lol:

Possibly :mrgreen: but I am not seeing anyone advising me to use any old oil, or even the ones that I've been using up to now :?

Thanks for the input, guys!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
diesel is good as well.

I'm with you there about diesel, Jon, but it stinks! Diesel is very good for freeing parts if they can be soaked in a pool of it. Try not to spill or drip any if it's being sprayed like WD/Duck/Plus because it kills tarmac and is very, very slippery under foot or tyres.

There is a product the military use called/coded ZX-54 which is supplied by Arrow Chemicals and it is very good - better than WD40.

WD40 isn't really a penetrating oil, though it does not a bad job. Incidentally 3-in-1 is now owned by the WD40 company

The Duck oil option is also very good. Quack :lol:

WD-40

btw - it stands for Water Displacer, attempt No 40 (which was a success)
It is also close to being harmless, vegetable oil, and has 100s of other uses. There are websites listing all the uses, run by wd40-lovers. http://www.google.no/search?as_q=uses+f ... afe=images

The best I've used is Mobil Penetrating Oil, which was discontinued ca 30 yrs ago. I bought a box-full of the little square metal bottles when I heard it was the end, and still have 1/4 bottle left. :)

Back