Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which winchbumper and roofrack

stevemitch

Who is best to buy a roofrack and a winch bumper from? I have seen that westcoast4x4 can supply both. Are they anygood? Does anyone know if there is a bumper builder in the U.K who can make a 100 bumper? THANKS

stevemitch said:
Who is best to buy a roofrack and a winch bumper from? I have seen that westcoast4x4 can supply both. Are they anygood? Does anyone know if there is a bumper builder in the U.K who can make a 100 bumper? THANKS
LC 100

Hi Steve and welcome!

The answer to your question will be what do you need these items to do and how much cash do you intend to spend?
West Coast supply Ironman parts mostly and maybe TJM and others. ARB and TJM are probably the most well-regarded off-the-shelf winchbars and you won't go wrong with them. Once you've coughed up the grand or so to pay for it ;)

For roofracks you have a lot more options. Heavy-duty expedition racks are expensive and overkill if you're just looking for a place to put some spotlights. But a cheap 'rack won't carry an RTT plus load for 1000s of miles on bad roads without breaking.

Places selling the major brands are OEC International, TBR, West Coast, Devon 4x4 and I think Arbil. BOAB maybe do too? Cheaper parts can be had from Freeways Latitude in France - some comments have been made about their robustness vs big brands.

Yes, there are some custom fabricators that can make these items for you - you will need to decide whether the cost vs strength vs style/appearance of custom or branded works better for you.

Cheers,

I am looking for the roofrack to carry materials, lengths or steel, pipework, ladders, tools...Not bothered about the looks as long as its strong and quiet. I'll will look at some of your suggestions. I was thinking just to get a rack from a discovery/4x4 or a small van and adapt it to fit the roof rails. :?:

I need the bumper to house a big winch +/_15000lb to move static caravans around. Again i am looking at strength over style. I used to know a guy who could build them up and he was very good. You would just leave him the winch and 4x4 and he would build the bumper to fit the winch and 4x4. I'm not sure if his builds would now be legal with the new laws and I also have some concerns about airbags. I would like to see one of the ironman/tjm/ARB just to see the makeup and the steel guage they use 5,6,7,8mm. Do you have any idea what they weigh? :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes looking for a roof rack for a trip in may to carry RTT and jerry cans spade Hi Lift ect group buy might save us all a few bob

I have been in your boat for some time now as I also have been looking for a front and rear bumper. My use is more overlanding than just to house a winch.

I have got site of my bonus this quarter and put the order in for both front and rear ARB bumpers this weekend. Great service from TBR and all i now need to do is wait for thier arrival as stock in the uk is limited and I wanted a custom colour.

We also get a small but helpful discount from TBR.

What are the rules/regs regarding or restricting the fitment of Bullbars or the like?

Thought there was a cut-off at about the 2001 year for things being allowed or not??

So long as you fit a winch it then becomes equipment and is OK.

That is my understanding and what I will be doing shortly.

Back