Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Maintainence for tomorrow a chap pulled up beside me tonight and shouted your back lights are not working when I checked he was right, one is out the other is glowing very faintly so probably an earth fault, any obvious places to start looking?

Much as I'm sure you won't have over tightened it- it does look suspiciously like it's been over tightened. [emoji20] Easily done on 6mm studs.

You are probably right - it was at the end of a long day doing timing belt, alternator, water pump etc. That will learn me.

I just need to identify the correct part to replace it with now ... There are a few on ebay but unsure what part number is correct atm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...=landcruiser+80+alternator+rectifier&_sacat=0

Maintainence for tomorrow a chap pulled up beside me tonight and shouted your back lights are not working when I checked he was right, one is out the other is glowing very faintly so probably an earth fault, any obvious places to start looking?

But Chas, you're an electrician, remember? :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
But Chas, you're an electrician, remember? :whistle:

That's a house electrician Clive, auto electrics is completely different ball game, yes I know the principal is the same but in practice it isn't. I could probably do fault finding in a domestic situation but auto electrics always has me stumped.

Go and stand in the corner Chas…shame on you!!! [emoji6]

Surely you must have a multimeter?

Last edited:
I'm hopeless with auto electrickery too Chas, only teasing :lol:

Just to illustrate this, my diagnosis is like this:

one of of my rear wiper motors has stopped working (I have 2 you know, one for each ambulance door).

I've checked the fuses they look OK but it still doesn't work.

I'be replaced a fuse, it looks OK but it still doesn't work.

I looked at the wires in the door, there's 2 on one plug (getting complicated) disconnected the plug, still doesn't work.

I hit it with a tree branch, still doesn't work.

I've tried everything, HELP! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm hopeless with auto electrickery too Chas, only teasing :lol:

Just to illustrate this, my diagnosis is like this:

one of of my rear wiper motors has stopped working (I have 2 you know, one for each ambulance door).

I've checked the fuses they look OK but it still doesn't work.

I'be replaced a fuse, it looks OK but it still doesn't work.

I looked at the wires in the door, there's 2 on one plug (getting complicated) disconnected the plug, still doesn't work.

I hit it with a tree branch, still doesn't work.

I've tried everything, HELP! :lol:

You did make sure to let none of the smoke escape didn't you Clive.

You did make sure to let none of the smoke escape didn't you Clive.

At least some smoke would suggest something's happening!

At the moment, it's as dead as the tree branch :lol:

My memory of the wiring for the rear cluster is that each bulb carrier has its own earth run as the whole pod is attached to a plastic insert, not bolted/screwed to the metal bodywork, IIRC.

Good luck with your lights.

In the pursuit of turning my LC into a Crimbo tree, some new LED bulbs!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454705053.304660.jpg
Was meant to order white, duh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a mobile strip-club!

Cool, but I imagine you can see bugger-all :lol:

Is it really that blue in reality, or is it exaggerated by the photo?

Looks like a mobile strip-club!

Cool, but I imagine you can see bugger-all :lol:

Is it really that blue in reality, or is it exaggerated by the photo?

Yep it really is that blue, mobile strippers now there is a business opportunity!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the constant up grading and remedial maintenance on the black Collie, I turned my attention to chancing the fluid in the auto trans and power steering. Whilst this Collie has service history to 100k ( now 145) I don't think some of the major fluid changes had ever been done.
The fluid was drained from the sump and then purged the pipes and remote cooler, it had lost a lot of its colour but didn't smell burnt so added a tin of the "Wynns " stuff and filled it up in this fashion:-

IMG_0614_zpstm5p7vmg.jpg

Also purged the power steering system ( the fluid was more like old engine oil) and re filled and cycled it, but will be doing it again soon to really clean the system out.

While it was on the ramp re greased the propshafts, checked the transfer box and squirted "chain lube" on anything else which moved. Also replaced the filler plug on the back axle.

The auto box and steering aren't noticeably different TBF as they worked perfectly before.

Next jobs, fit the new steering rack bushes I bought off Joe and sort out the air con. There will be more jobs in the pipe line including a visit to the bodyshop on the 25th for a bonnet repaint and all scuffs and a small dint in the passenger to be addressed. Also I have a set of rear springs ( donated by Marsie) to fit and try to raise the back end a bit as it doesnt seem to have quite the correct stance ( Been used as a horse box tug).
Its getting a bit like the Forth Bridge)

so yesterday i noticed this:(IMG_1515.JPGIMG_1516.JPGIMG_1517.JPG
so i made thisIMG_1514.JPG
now it looks like thisIMG_1520.JPGIMG_1521.JPG
its not easy welding underneath the truck but should look ok with a clean from the grinder and some paint over it at least my axle wont fall off any time soon :icon-biggrin:

I wonder if admin will move dellboykev's post to the 90 series stickies so its easy to find next time someone asks for a buyers guide ?

It's maybe not a common fault yet but these trucks are getting older and it seems fair to assume this weakness will become more frequently mentioned as time goes on .

so yesterday i noticed this:(View attachment 24371View attachment 24372View attachment 24373
so i made thisView attachment 24374
now it looks like thisView attachment 24375View attachment 24376
its not easy welding underneath the truck but should look ok with a clean from the grinder and some paint over it at least my axle wont fall off any time soon :icon-biggrin:

Flopping heck, I've not seen or had an axle as bad as that though I have seen one with the spring perch replaced.

I think this is the third in as many years this fault has made an appearance on the forum Andy .

Back