Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Truth is i had to guess because google wasn't giving me anything on the flux capacitator search

You did more than i did... I just couldn't be bothered to start searching through the service manual...

Anderson plug fitted...

IMG_20200424_160604.jpg

IMG_20200424_160555.jpg

Next up will be a full front brake assembly replacement and a fluid service from the parts dept in the shed..

IMG_20200424_161026.jpg

Hilux stuff today. You know when those simple little jobs turn into ..........

Well this one has. All I wanted to do was check the thickness of the front pads. Simples? OK maybe I'd need some new pads? Boo hoo £30. Order them up and stick 'em in right?

WRONG.

First thing was that I simply couldn't get the pads out. Got the shims slid out and finally got one side free, but the inner pad was just wedged. So, ok I'll take the caliper off, no biggie. Then I thought I'd exercise the pistons a bit too whilst in there. Pump them out, push them back, right?

WRONG.

One was totally seized. Ok so let's have the caliper off the truck and onto the bench. No problem. Whilst I'm at it, might as well just clean the disc up, right?

WRONG

Look at the state of this!
Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 15.43.16.jpg

Now, whilst all that's going on, let's have a little look around at everything else. I mean there can't be any more issues. Right?

WRONG.

Uhm, is the spring supposed to look like that? Oddly, I was standing next to the truck at the weekend and there was this really loud bang. Looks like it was the spring letting go.

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 15.43.57.jpg

But that's the end of it right?

Oh come on, join in.

WRONG

The backing plates are just holes held together with rust. So new backing plates too then? Getting the ABS sensor out was a right battle. Then I came to undo the stub axle nut. 30mm, no. 32 maybe, no. Hmm, OK some old AF sockets and Whitworth ones - not even close. 36mm deep needed. Do I have one? Do you need to ask?

Milners and local parts warehouse to the rescue

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 15.42.54.jpg

Total bill so far for checking my pads? Just shy of a grand. I decided to buy the Peddars pre assembled coil overs. I've done enough spring swaps to know what an absolute PITA it is. And with my luck, I'd find the dampers were shot too. Good job Roughtrax are open.

I'm not touching anything else!!!! Oh, and I've only looked at one side so far. And this is a 5 year old Lux with less than 60k on the clock.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maaan! I thought the hilux was quite new?! Incredible to say the least with the rust etc.. A good job you had the time to check it out and get it back to good!

How old is the hilux?

Well done! :thumbup:

Like I said in the last line. 5 years and less than 60k. Rest of the truck is really good.

Well this one has. All I wanted to do was check the thickness of the front pads. Simples? OK maybe I'd need some new pads? Boo hoo £30. Order them up and stick 'em in right?

WRONG.

First thing was that I simply couldn't get the pads out. Got the shims slid out and finally got one side free, but the inner pad was just wedged. So, ok I'll take the caliper off, no biggie. Then I thought I'd exercise the pistons a bit too whilst in there. Pump them out, push them back, right?

WRONG.

One was totally seized. Ok so let's have the caliper off the truck and onto the bench. No problem. Whilst I'm at it, might as well just clean the disc up, right?

WRONG

View attachment 165282
Now, whilst all that's going on, let's have a little look around at everything else. I mean there can't be any more issues. Right?

WRONG.

Uhm, is the spring supposed to look like that? Oddly, I was standing next to the truck at the weekend and there was this really loud bang. Looks like it was the spring letting go.

View attachment 165283

Oh come on, join in.

WRONG

The backing plates are just holes held together with rust. So new backing plates too then? Getting the ABS sensor out was a right battle. Then I came to undo the stub axle nut. 30mm, no. 32 maybe, no. Hmm, OK some old AF sockets and Whitworth ones - not even close. 36mm deep needed. Do I have one? Do you need to ask?

View attachment 165284

Total bill so far for checking my pads? Just shy of a grand. I decided to buy the Peddars pre assembled coil overs. I've done enough spring swaps to know what an absolute PITA it is. And with my luck, I'd find the dampers were shot too. Good job Roughtrax are open.

I'm not touching anything else!!!! Oh, and I've only looked at one side so far. And this is a 5 year old Lux with less than 60k on the clock.
Jesus..
Don't make em like they used too..
Etc, etc..

@Chris Had many days like that! I don't even give the wife an eta when go work on the 80.

Have a few bits to do but it's never just a few bits!

Build quailty is well, different let's say. On an old Collie (which is a Hilux really) top and bottom wishbones are solid forgings. On the Lux the same thing is actually formed somehow. It's folded sheet. On the 120 I had it was hollow but sealed. On the Lux it's effectively only 3 sided. Like a pressing. Does that matter? Maybe not, but I know which I've more faith in. When I', doe it's all going to get sprayed with chain lube.

Went to do a service, dropped the old oil filter (still full of oil) into the engine bay, it ended up between the engine and skid plate with no change of getting it by hand! Then spent 15 mins working out how the skid plates come off whilst dripping oil onto the driveway. Then went to check levels in the diffs and found I need 24mm socket, which I don't have. Did grease my driveshaft though and clean out the air filter.

If you have access to a lathe, it's a good idea to face up the 24mm socket. They have an internal bevel on them typically and with the head of the plug being so shallow, it's easy for the socket to slip off. Sometimes the plugs haven't been undone in years and need a good twist. Always undo the filler first of course.

WRONG.

WRONG.

WRONG

View attachment 165282

WRONG.

View attachment 165283

Oh come on, join in.

WRONG

View attachment 165284

Five years old with 60k miles on the clock , where do you live for it to get so rusty , the parts look 30 years old .

If you have access to a lathe, it's a good idea to face up the 24mm socket. They have an internal bevel on them typically and with the head of the plug being so shallow, it's easy for the socket to slip off. Sometimes the plugs haven't been undone in years and need a good twist. Always undo the filler first of course.
and better to make it a 24mm six point socket and not 12 point so you dont round off the edges of the rear axle and transfer box drain and refill plugs it they are on tight , and if you can get six point xi-on sockets they are really good sockets and will even undo nuts and bolts that are up to 85 percent rounded off .

On the Lux it's effectively only 3 sided. Like a pressing.
I prefer forged too, but if pressed steel, I think that an open pressing is better as far as corrosion spotting goes. I've had supposedly sealed, hollow ones in the past where what appeared to be just a bit of bubbling on the surface turned out to be quite serious corrosion from the inside out.

On the drain and fill plugs, if already rounded I've had success with using a smaller impact socket tapped on and then fitting new plugs as needed.

I sat mine flat on the side of a 4" grinder disk to make it 5mm shorter removing the bevel .

WRONG.

WRONG.

WRONG

View attachment 165282

WRONG.

View attachment 165283

Oh come on, join in.

WRONG

View attachment 165284

A bit different to starting it up winding the windows up and down and turning it off again Chris :lol: ... Maintenance on the 80s seems cheaper..

I checked the tyre pressures, inc the spare, oh and I did all of this. :-J

Last edited by a moderator:
Back