Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Fixed a damaged brake pipe on the rear axle, seems they don't take kindly to branches getting wedged behind them!
Made a start on making the paint shine again too, got the bonnet wings and 1 door done, hard work even with a machine polisher!!

MOT work for me today, new brake pipes front and back, brake hoses on the front and 3 new calipers coming. Had to swap out the HID kit for normal bulb as the blue tell tale won't come on....hoping for a more positive MOT in a week or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a while I’ve considered getting a cyclonic snorkel head but I thought those ones that had the transparent dust boxes looked quite large and ugly, so I changed one of these;

1.jpg

To one of these, £23 from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raised-Mu...ep-Landrover-Toyota-Ford-Nissan-/271577929025?

2.jpg

It doesn’t have a dust box that has to be emptied now and again as the dust is separated and gets diverted to the outside into a surrounding tray and is then discharged to the rear, seems like a good idea.

3.jpg

Please excuse the picture quality, taken with my mobile.

I'll be fitting a Donaldson topspin which also has a similar approach to self cleaning. Won't be as cheap as the ebay one but they are renowned experts and I trust them

Wondered why all my body panels had started to pop of but i guess bringing half an acre of Lincomb home will do that .
Bodypanels001_zpsdafed32d.jpg

Wondered why all my body panels had started to pop of but i guess bringing half an acre of Lincomb home will do that .
Bodypanels001_zpsdafed32d.jpg
More mpg with that out lol.just wondering how easy it was to get the arch off and are the clips re usable please as could do with taking mine off due to rubbing paint off my panels,
cheers shaun.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Plan to break the clips Sag they are a tight fit and its likely the plastic has gone hard and brittle , new ones were 90p each from Simon , I will find the part number for you in a bit . The clips just hold it flush and its actually held on with bolts just search around underneath and you will find them , there's one or two inside the arch as well down low . I had to undo most of my rear bumper to get into a bolt hidden just behind it near where you see the wires coming through the chassis in my pic . It's easy enough to do .

Lost my locking wheel nut key. so spent time with my mate welding a nut on the top of each one on the truck and removing them.

More mpg with that out lol.just wondering how easy it was to get the arch off and are the clips re usable please as could do with taking mine off due to rubbing paint off my panels,
cheers shaun.

Toyota lists each clip with a separate part number but they are all the same as far as i can tell but as yet i have have only removed that one panel .
Part number 90467-09191

I ordered 20 expecting the clips to only run along the top edge of trim but the rear panel alone needs 12 clips

Coloradorearbodypanel001_zps8a61c6ce.jpg

Toyota lists each clip with a separate part number but they are all the same as far as i can tell but as yet i have have only removed that one panel .
Part number 90467-09191

I ordered 20 expecting the clips to only run along the top edge of trim but the rear panel alone needs 12 clips

Coloradorearbodypanel001_zps8a61c6ce.jpg
Thanks for that Shayne will be getting them ordered about 50 then lol

It helps to be prepared so just twist the old clips 90 degrees and they will practically fall out . I found a broken moulded piece on the back of my wheel arch which i repaired with this stuff

wheelarch002_zps24dd7e0b.jpg

The paint shop who did all my panels a couple of years ago obviously didn't find it as easy as me to remove them , or they just didn't care :icon-twisted: and i also found this on removal

wheelarch001_zps2fe40ecc.jpg

Attacked with a stanley knife i reckon , luckily the mrs has a black car and a touch up pen . Also while the inner arch is revealed i can see some flaking paint and the very first stages of rust so wire brush and Fertan are out to be followed with acid etch primer and a very heavy coat of oil based paint applied with a brush as i hope never to see behind the outer arch again :pray:

Not sure what to do about the mudflap it does have a drain but my exhaust runs directly behind the flap so anything that gets in there is going to dry very quickly and stay there , might drill a hole to stick the hose in if i can find a cap or a bung to keep it tidy .

The white stuff you see in the second pic is unibond silicone remover comes in a tube same as silicone got it from B&Q and its good stuff .

Last edited:
It helps to be prepared so just twist the old clips 90 degrees and they will practically fall out . I found a broken moulded piece on the back of my wheel arch which i repaired with this stuff

wheelarch002_zps24dd7e0b.jpg

The paint shop who did all my panels a couple of years ago obviously didn't find it as easy as me to remove them , or they just didn't care :icon-twisted: and i also found this on removal

wheelarch001_zps2fe40ecc.jpg

Attacked with a stanley knife i reckon , luckily the mrs has a black car and a touch up pen . Also while the inner arch is revealed i can see some flaking paint and the very first stages of rust so wire brush and Fertan are out to be followed with acid etch primer and a very heavy coat of oil based paint applied with a brush as i hope never to see behind the outer arch again :pray:

Not sure what to do about the mudflap it does have a drain but my exhaust runs directly behind the flap so anything that gets in there is going to dry very quickly and stay there , might drill a hole to stick the hose in if i can find a cap or a bung to keep it tidy .

The white stuff you see in the second pic is unibond silicone remover comes in a tube same as silicone got it from B&Q and its good stuff .
cheers for all the help Shayne much appreciated buddy now I need a day to do it lol

Upset the missus yesterday because I put the winch line in the washing machine, at least I did take the hook off the end first, now where did I put that bloody hook? and I'm off round some Surrey lanes tomorrow. :doh:

Changed the fuel filter today. Toyota have changed the part No. for the OE filter. There's now only 3 filters for the whole vehicle range according to the parts guy and the price has gone up to £30! I tried a Boshi filter but it would only screw on 1-11/2 turns on the thread before it tightened on the seal. The threaded part of the filter seems to be set lower in relation to the rubber seal compared to the existing filter, hence it doesn't screw on as far. Ended up fitting a Mann branded filter.

NEVER worth fitting a cheap filter Phil, it's the most important part of the lubrication system, if that fails good bye engine.

Bit of maintenance on the 80, oil change, had to re paint parts of the axles after dragging over rocks etc. Pulled a lot of mud out from the chassis and had a good check over for damage. Gearbox Gaurd has done it's job as few deep scrapes.
Fixed a water leak from a rear door too.

NEVER worth fitting a cheap filter Phil, it's the most important part of the lubrication system, if that fails good bye engine.

With you there JM on the lubrication system but it was the fuel filter I've changed. I've used Mann filters before on numerous vehicles and have complete confidence in them. Curiously the Mann item had an RRP/list price of £36.76 but was discounted down to £12.30 from one of the national car parts suppliers.

Last edited:
Upset the missus yesterday because I put the winch line in the washing machine, at least I did take the hook off the end first, now where did I put that bloody hook? and I'm off round some Surrey lanes tomorrow. :doh:

I've never understood why our ladies get so upset with these matters Chas, some jeans I've put to wash, with no complaints, have been much dirtier than any winch line!

Hope you found the hook in time! :thumbup:

I've never understood why our ladies get so upset with these matters Chas, some jeans I've put to wash, with no complaints, have been much dirtier than any winch line!

Hope you found the hook in time! :thumbup:

Couldn't find the hook so I took a large shackle instead, I've bought a new winch hook on eBay now so you can bet your life I'll go out to the garage and find the other one. :lol:
The laning was good, there was lots of standing water and a fallen tree I just managed to squeeze under with about 1/2 to spare. , sorry no pics, I forgot the camera. :doh:

Last edited:
Back