Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

well went out this morning :pray: turned the key and away she went, fantastic.... finished work and came out to the car park turned the key :pray: .........nothing, b*****d!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

Did some maintenance on LB's windscreen over the past weekend. Started to develope a significant leak at the top of the sill above the driver which was soaking the carpet.

Peeled the rubber stip back from the bottom to about half way across and found lots of gunk/rust. Cleand that out and treated the surface rust with Kurust and then made sure that there was a nice clear channel for the water to flow down and away. I then applied some silicone to the top of the windscreen in the gap between the screen and the seal. Squirted some on the inside too, and then finally re-fitted the rubber strip with a small bit of silicone to stick it to the roof.

Bit of a bodge job, but at least it no longer leaks.... well at least I hope so. Had a bit of rain but now waiting for the downpour :naughty:

over the weekend, following someone mentioning that the tow bar electrics are to be part of the MOT from 2012 - I removed the cabling to my battered sockets. Now I need a big spanner to undo the recovery jaw I have in place of the tow ball so I can remove the sockets and mounting plate - failing that, I'll just snap the plate off.

ran a permanent power cable into the RT so there's one less job to do when setting up / breaking camp :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
ran a permanent power cable into the RT so there's one less job to do when setting up / breaking camp :)
How did you run the cable Jon? that's something I want to do but I've not found a suitable waterproof plug/socket yet. I had in mind going though the roof and being able to unplug if I wanted to take the RT off.

Cossack said:
Jon Wildsmith said:
How did you run the cable Jon? that's something I want to do but I've not found a suitable waterproof plug/socket yet. I had in mind going though the roof and being able to unplug if I wanted to take the RT off.

You'll find something suitable from a ships chandlers supplier. Not cheap stuff but excellent quality. I've run the cbales to my roof lights through deck fittings, no leaks and a neat finish.

Cossack said:
How did you run the cable Jon?
At which end? or both? Drilled a hole in the RT floor, shoved a grommet in it and poked a cable through it. Inside the RT the (short) cable goes to a choc block screw terminal connector with the light and a cig socket hanging off the other side. From the RT the cable drops down the side of the tailgate opening all the way down to behind the bumper then under the floor, into the lower part of the passenger side rear wing via an OEM grommet and up through the inside of the wing to the aux fuse block I have on that side. When I want to take the tent off I'll just remove the fuse, undo the choc block connectors and pull the wire back out of the grommet, wrap the ends of the wires and tuck them out of the way. I came up with various schemes to use plugs and sockets but I don't want a big hole in the RT for a socket and I don't want wires trailing out the RT when it's stored so simple won :)

Kind of seemed silly to be putting in a permanent feed when my existing patch lead from the towing socket to a cig block poked in through the bottom of one of the tent doors only took about a minute but then that's about twice as long as it takes to put the tent up so then it makes more sense, to me anyway :D

Jon Wildsmith said:
Cossack said:
How did you run the cable Jon?
At which end? or both? Drilled a hole in the RT floor, shoved a grommet in it and poked a cable through it. :D
It was the entry into the body I was thinking about, into the RT I would have done as you have, I had in mind just a short cable of about 6" or so from the tent to a plug with a socket mounted in the roof but I couldn't find a suitably small socket

my other option would have been along the rack and down the snorkel into the engine bay. A socket in the roof was too much trouble for me :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
my other option would have been along the rack and down the snorkel into the engine bay. A socket in the roof was too much trouble for me :)
Ah! now I hadn't thought of that, I was thinking the rear would have been less vunerable, but I might just do it that way from the front of the tent, thanks Jon you've given me another possibility :thumbup:

replaced the incandescent bulb in my RT with the spare 48 led panel from my pfran led kit :)

The 16 led 'bulbs' fit as well but I thought why have 16 when you can have 48 :mrgreen:

Replaced tha starter contacts,(they didnt need doing, PM though!)
Fitted new front pads, changed the oil & filter
Just doing the last few preventative maintenance bits before leaving for a 6 week desert trip to Egypt in January..........
thats subject to my Libyan visa coming through in time!!! :pray:

Any body else want to come?? :thumbup:

Fitted a replacement power-steering reservoir (thanks to Karl!) and started the bleeding process....

2 new hugh batteries, at a very good price....
rear windows blacked out

dog2182.jpg
[/img]

Back