Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

whooshing

G

this is an interesting thread as now you mention it i get that when i open my fuel cap..i replaced the original fuel cap with a lockable type for added safety on my trips to africa. although ive noticed no ill effects was this a mistake??

ive started getting a slight uneveness at slow revs which disappear as i drive through..ive been thinking fuel starvation perhaps i should change the fuel cap back! any thoughts??

do you think these walbro pumps are a good investment??

Im off to europe for a couple of months and then when i return ill start getting ready for patagonia to alaska so even i will have to start thinking mechanical things!!!

regrads

jeff> From: [Email address removed]> To: [Email address removed]> Subject: Re: [ELCO] again> Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 22:43:26 +0100> > Hi> Not sure if it helps but i had an 'intermittent problem when i first got my > 80. I thought it was the fuel pump as the previous owner said he had gone > through the fuel system., but he had missed the tank. To make sure get the > back seats out and you can get into the tank and clean the crud from the > pick up tube. Solved mine but the symptoms were not exactly the same...> I thought the 80 had a 'get me home' safety system that's to do with the AT > box if there is a fault ? When mine was rebuilt it got stuck in this mode > and it was a single broken wire.. not exactly an engine management but a > safety system of some kind ?!> Cheers> Gareth> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Benoit Bernard" <[Email address removed]>> To: <[Email address removed]>> Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:56 PM> Subject: Re: [ELCO] again> > > >I always get that wooshing noisse when I open my cap! But my 80 she> > run like a cheetah, no problem. But my idle is always change. Does> > this Walmart pusher pump come from USA or EU?> >> > 2008/5/5 Julian A.R. Voelcker <[Email address removed]>:> >> Yes, that's the case with 80s and I think also 90s like yours.> >>> >> One of the problems with brimming your tank is that it can lead to the > >> vent in the filler cap getting gummed up.> >>> >> If you hear a whooshing sound when you remove the filler cap the chances > >> are that the cap is a bit gummed up. If you are careful and watch the > >> spring it is possible to strip the cap down, clean it out, etc. When you > >> do it you can use one of the silicone based dry lube products to > >> lubricate the valve so it opens more easily.> >>> >> If you are getting the whooshing noise it is worth sorting out because it > >> puts more pressure on your injection pump and can lead to fuel starvation > >> at higher revs (80s struggle with this anyway, but you can counter that > >> by fitting a Walbro pusher pump).> >>> >>> >> Regards,> >>> >> Julian Voelcker> >> 07971 540362> >> [Email address removed]--> >> European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> >> Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/> >>> > --> > European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> > Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/> > > > --> European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List> Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/

Jeff & others
My filler cap "whooshes" too, but only when the tank is near empty and I unscrew it pretty much immediately after stopping.
I decided to risk the taste and see how much vacuum my filler cap imposed, and had a quick suck through it. The answer, for mine at least, was negligible - it was easy to suck against the spring and draw air in. Experimentation revealed that it only really "whooshed" when the tank was near empty, and I assume that is simply because there is a greater volume of air to suck in.
In addition I have the classic idle speed drop when I point up a (steep) hill, where the tank is - say - 3 feet below its normal height, so I experimented with that too: I parked it on a slope, left it idling, and then undid the fuel filler cap. It made absolutely no difference that my ears could detect.
For those who are worried about their filler caps I'd suggest the "steep hill + idle + unscrew cap" test. If it makes a difference then dismantle and clean, otherwise forget about it!
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT
this is an interesting thread as now you mention it I get that when I open my fuel cap..I replaced the original fuel cap with a lockable type for added safety on my trips to africa. although ive noticed no ill effects was this a mistake??
=A0
ive started getting a slight uneveness=A0at slow revs which disappear as i drive through..ive been thinking fuel starvation perhaps i should change the fuel cap back! any thoughts??
=A0
do you think these walbro pumps are a good investment??
=A0
=A0
Im off to europe for a couple of months and then when i return ill start getting ready for patagonia to alaska so even i will have to start thinking mechanical things!!!
=A0
regrads
=A0
=A0
jeff

Jeff
Had additional Racor fuel filter fitted and a pusher pump.
With the former, the latter is recommended by many people but not
all..... pressure drops etc...
The pusher pump is "supposed" to assist the IP and reduce wear on same
- for me that was the seller - an improvement in reliability of IP.
I am a fan of the additional filter as you can change out the filter
every week in a matter of seconds. There has been alot of dirt and
crud in the filters i've changed todate.
For Patagonia trip it might be worth getting both if within your budget
Niall

Back