Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who's got a boat?

I have had a few boats in my time, and used my old 1995 VX 4.5 more than a few times to tow about, was just awesome!.

it was an auto, never had a 80 in Manual to tow tho?, is there anyone who has and prefers it?

Only tow caravans with ours but I've done that with 2 auto 80 diesels, an auto 100 petrol and now a manual 80 diesel which gives more control than the autos did especially when towing and being able to select the right gear to drive through a twisty section say rather than coasting or brake and accelerate in an auto is what I notice most when towing now. Funny how sloppy an auto feels now when I drive one.

I used to tow and small fishing boat but now only tow the caravan. The GW of the caravan is around 1.5t. The boat and trailer was probably around 1t. Previously did the same job with a Disco 300Tdi, also manual, which was pretty good at it to be honest. Just had to rev it a bit more and anticipate hills etc.

Still not 100% sure on what's best for towing really.........I like the fact that an auto means lazy mode for me, traffic towing is so much better eg: stop go stop go....and just the ease of it all. But a Manual like you guys say is more control over the load....mmm.

Thoughts on 4.5 petrol (with LPG) or 4.2TD for towing?......

(Have been offered nice White 1998 VX auto 4.5 on L.P.G. with 120k for £3950)

Last edited:
I used to tow our 1.5 ton boat with an auto 80 now just tow a 2.2 ton caravan with the auto 100, to me auto is the only way to go, lazy I know....:icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
We have a 16ft Dell Quay sports cuddy with a 90 on the back :)

Trailered and launched every week from March onwards from Poole area usually. I never dunk the truck in the sea, seen it before it knackers everything it touches within days.

Have tried but we are crap at fishing so usually go for coastal pub tours instead

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought a v8 power boat not too long ago.

Mastercraft 190:thumbup:

Does it not come down to whether you can lock your gearbox at a 1:1 ratio to avoid damage? Heard lots of horror stories of autos overheating their gearboxes on long pulls in hot environments and cooking the oil :(

I used to have a couple of small fishing boats. These days I settle for a 15ft Snake River Canoe

Back