Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch connection to 100 series

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Did a search and found items relating to 80s but not the 100.

For a winch connection on a right hand drive vehicle, drivers or passenger side battery? I believe physically the drivers side is nearest the alternator and the start is still 12v just utilises the amps from both batteries, so was thinking drivers side, or am I a muppet?

I've read up on the differing opinions on fuses, kill switches and plan to use an Albright solenoid to an in cab switch.

I'm not the best person to advise you on this but i follow your logic and i believe the drivers side battery to be the main battery and it pulls power from the second battery on demand ,so yes i'd connect the winch to the drivers battery .

Shortest wire to the starter is on pass side and I have connected mine to pass battery or am I the muppet in this case

Personally i don't see why it matters because batteries are only for storing power and the alternator keeps them both topped up , if one starts failing then it pulls the other down with it ?

Thinking it might be to do with some duel battery setup as one is the main starter and the other mainly auxiliaries and gadgets the Thinking being that if you buggered one doing some heavy winching switched off truck for a cool down you should still have the one to start you up and get home and if that's the case I got mine on the wrong side or have I sod it it either works or it don't been there four five years plus the battery cut off switch for the winch

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't think it makes any difference on a standard setup. The thick wire joining the two batteries should be such low loss that the alternator is connected to both batteries the same. Mine is configured with the drivers side battery as an aux, charged by an Intervolt DC-DC charger, so that I don't need a 3rd battery in the back, and the alternator is connected to the passenger side battery. So in my case I'd use the passenger side battery for the winch. If the starter battery were flat from too much winching or old age, I can jump it from the aux battery on the drivers side. They really don't need 2 batteries to turn them over, as we learned with 80's and 12v conversions on those.

Muppets.

Winch + goes to one batt.
Winch - goes to the other batt.
(dual-batt setup of course)

You can add a dash-switched relay on the +side of that circuit for extra protection(control) if desired. (how mine is wired)

Overall, you get the benefit of dual batt headroom without concern for current draw upon just one batt.

If +E isn't common between them, then the draw is specific to just the one +E you decided to tap.

Back