Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch Rope

ref winch rope- there are two key factors that determine the strenght of a winch rope being a. the strands that make up the rope and b. the physical construction of the rope.

iirc there are only 2 or 3 strand manufacters (ie marlow) which make a variety of strand types - Marlow makes Dyneema, Aaramid, Technore and dynaline amongst others. Other manufacturers make similar rope types. Each of the strand types are different and have different factors- such as abrasive resistance, UV resistance etc etc

You can get around hundreds of different ropes around the world made from Dyneema- the vast majority are unsuited to offroading- they have too much stretch (or no stretch), no UV protection, etc etc

PLasma12 really is better than most other ropes in an offroad situation- its construction means that its physical properties are far better than most of the stuff you can buy- the extra money is well spent.

Yeah I understand what you are saying with regards to Plasma, but the way I figured it I can almost buy two lots of Dyneema rope to the Plasma12 one.

The reason the last rope snapped was not really down to it's strengh per say but due to the fact that I had abused it on a couple of times. One particular incedent I did not have a snatch block so was forced to go around a tree for a pull which frayed the rope. :angry-banghead:

In the end it came down to, do I wait a couple of months to get the cash together for the plasma12 stuff or do I replace it with what I had before.... I decided to stick with Dyneema with the promiss to myself that I need to be more carefull how and when I use it to try and preserve it a bit longer :think:

Back