Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch Rope

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So after the escapades (link) over the weekend I need a new winch rope. :roll:

I have a Goodwinch Goldfish 9.5 winch and currently there is a Dyneema 100ft x 9.5mm rope in there (or rather whats left of it). I have done some searching and there are really two rope manufactures worth looking at, Dyneema and Plasma. Like for like the Plasma ropes are about 30% more expensive so I think I will stick to the Dyneema ones.

So, my real questions are around the dimensions of the rope. There are quite a few choices:
100ft
125ft
Those lengths in 10mm, 11mm diameter.

As I understand it there are different advantages and disadvantages to both the length and diameter of the ropes in both load and winch performance. I am not too clued up on this, so hopefully one of you more experienced folk will be able to help me out here.

From a price perspective the 100ft x 10mm is about £130 and the 125ft x 10mm is £150 so not much in it. I am swaying towards the 100ft x 10mm as it's cheaper and the plan would be to use whatever I can salvage from the old rope as a extension....

Whatca think lads?

TonyP said:
So, my real questions are around the dimensions of the rope. There are quite a few choices:
100ft
125ft
Those lengths in 10mm, 11mm diameter.Whatca think lads?
One thing to consider is whether a longer line can be accommodated on your winch, I have a synthetic 100ft 10mm line on mine and I don't think a longer line would fit, when all the line is pulled in the coils are near to the metalwork and any more might get scuffed.
How can you tell when a synthetic winch line needs replacing? apart from obvious abrasions, should they get replaced after a certain amount of use? do they a have 'shelf life' :think: If there is ever a group buy I think I'll get a new one please :thumbup:

Cossack said:
One thing to consider is whether a longer line can be accommodated on your winch, I have a synthetic 100ft 10mm line on mine and I don't think a longer line would fit, when all the line is pulled in the coils are near to the metalwork and any more might get scuffed.
How can you tell when a synthetic winch line needs replacing? apart from obvious abrasions, should they get replaced after a certain amount of use? do they a have 'shelf life' :think: If there is ever a group buy I think I'll get a new one please :thumbup:

Yes that is one of the questions I don't know the answer too... will it fit... As for when it needs replacing, well mine was looking quite frayed already following the previous outing at Piccadilly wood, and when Greg looked at it and said..."...hmm that is quite cr4p" or something along those lines, I knew it should have been replaced :doh:

I managed to get a quote of a company called winch-it @ £123 for the 100ft 10mm rope with the eyelet that attaches to the drum, a hook, and the protective covering at each end, which is by far the cheapest I have seen anywhere! If there is some interest in a group buy I can ask

I've got the large yellow competition size hook on the end of my winch ropes, the large hook allows you to easily clip onto both ends of a tree saver, negating the use of a shackle to connect a small winch hook to the ends of the tree saver.

It's well worth getting the larger winch hook in my opinion, when sourcing a new rope.

Cheers,

Scott.

Ah now this is interesting :think:

Yes larger hook for sure, but also larger rope :thumbup:

Best pick I have of 12mm Plasma with larger hook
P5100001.jpg

If it were me, I'd go for 12mm :D Not speaking from personal experience as I don't have a winch & have never owned one :mrgreen: But if I was going to fit a Plasma / Dyneema rope to my winch it would be the 12mm :) Why? Well I've spent alot of time around others with all kinds of winch set ups & it never surprises me now just how fragile the Plasma type ropes are to damage from abraision & kinking :shock: My m8 Giles broke his almost new 10mm Plasma three times in a row before replacing it with 12mm & since has not had any trouble :D Of course this may just be down to the fact that it's not a cost you want everytime you use the winch & he may just be a little more considerate towards the delicate nature of what is @ the end of the day some thing that was originally designed as boat mooring line :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go for a shorter length of 12mm & then get some winch line extension strops to make up the difference :thumbup:

I know some will say you don't need it but you're asking so I would get 90ft of 11mm Plasma 12. If you're worried you won't have enough reach then also buy an extension rope, again 11mm Plasma12. Throw your old rope away.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
Throw your old rope away
:text-yeahthat:

It's clearly knackered & will only get you in trouble again one day in the future :) Bin it or give it to a m8 with a small boat as a mooring line :D

Wasn't Les after some rope a while back to make into dog chews or sommat loike???

A few things, if you fit 12mm you will only get about 25m on. 11mm is about 27 and 10mm is about 30 (just about). But with 12mm you can use/abuse it a lot more befor it will need changeing again. Then again the tree might be just 2-3m tofar away for the rope to reach!!

As for the old rope, just splice it togeather and keep it as an extention.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
A few things, if you fit 12mm you will only get about 25m on. 11mm is about 27 and 10mm is about 30 (just about). But with 12mm you can use/abuse it a lot more befor it will need changeing again. Then again the tree might be just 2-3m tofar away for the rope to reach!!
The tree might also be 32m away from you. :mrgreen: While no professional, I think I would opt for robustness and resistance to abuse. Tony's rope could not have failed at a worse time (not that it would fail at a convenient time. :lol: Actually, had it not failed we may still be there now not wanting to give up :lol:

Paul_Humphreys said:

Sorry, that is dangerous. It has failed twice. To use it as an extension or anything other than platting for Les's guide dogs would be crazy. When it snapped I only slid down the embankment about half a foot. Could have been more (could have been less too :mrgreen: )

Paul_Humphreys said:

Paul
Thanks for that Paul, I was trying to figure out what difference the diameter made to the length you could have on the spool. For the compromise of 5 meters I think the 12mm is probably the best bet, but the one down side I can see is that the rope now far exceeds the winches capabilities, so now instead of the rope snapping something in the winch does :shock: Ok, you could argue that with proper use that should not happen... but as i have shown a number of time already I am learn by expierence kinda guy :whistle:

As for the old rope, I will keep the best bit (the part that has mainly been on the drum and either make a extension, or splice a couple of endless loops to be used as a safty strop....
Jon Wildsmith said:
I know some will say you don't need it but you're asking so I would get 90ft of 11mm Plasma 12. If you're worried you won't have enough reach then also buy an extension rope, again 11mm Plasma12. Throw your old rope away.
Jon, any reason you prefer the Plasma 12? Is it that much better, more durable to justify the extra cost?

TonyP said:
I managed to get a quote of a company called winch-it @ £123 for the 100ft 10mm rope with the eyelet that attaches to the drum, a hook, and the protective covering at each end, which is by far the cheapest I have seen anywhere! If there is some interest in a group buy I can ask

Got mine from him, nice helpful chap but the hook end cable protector is rubbish. The big competition hooks are 50/50 thing, quick to fit but not through a small eye.

125ft of 11mm is a squeeze on the XD9000, I have a spacer on the feet to enable fitment.

TonyP said:
Jon, any reason you prefer the Plasma 12? Is it that much better, more durable to justify the extra cost?
I used it on my 80, it performed well and AFAIK it's the strongest you can get. The Dyneema on my Goldfish hasn't had any use really to know if it's up to the job but reading the disclaimer in their sales blurb (after purchase instead of before!) doesn't fill me with confidence - "Dyneema® Bowrope is size for size the strongest and most durable synthetic winch rope available, at a price you can afford." It might be fine but I always like to have a bit of something in reserve not what will probably maybe might do the job so I will replace it :)

Thanks all, I guess I will hold off till funds allow for the better rope :violin:

You need to speak to AdnyT at Ruff Tracks as he is the importer of P12. I got mine in a group buy on another forum ;)

Paul

Crispin said:
Sorry, that is dangerous. It has failed twice.

No it is not, how do you think the hook if fitted? If you splice it then you have double the thickness of rope on the joint. I am always taking the hook off of mine to put it in the washing machine to clean it :shock:

Paul

Have to agree with Paul. These plasma ropes do fail. Yes, but they fail where there is damage. Just like any other rope or cable. The part that sits on the drum for most of its life is fine for further use. The bit near the hook has a pretty hard life. But splicing rope is a completely acceptable practice. It's even in the video that David produced. I would not use any damaged sections at all. Clearly not - bin them. But good condition rope is worth keeping for other things. I wouldn't tie knots in it. I would splice it properly. Knots reduce strength by around 10% An endless loop is a really useful addition to the kit bag

Chris

Sorry, don't recall saying anything about splicing being dangerous? I'll check again, maybe I missed it.

A failed rope because it has been damaged. Ok, the last few meters on the drum and bits that have never been used, fine. The rope in question has a lot of frayed sections. For the sake of £15 for a 4 ton sling...

TonyP said:

Just to update the thread, I got the 100ft 10mm Dyneema rope off winch-it. Only issue was the binding post for attaching to the winch drum, it was too big, so I needed to cut it off, reduce the diameter of the rope and then finish it off with a small metal plate for the grub screw to bind into... 30 mins work and all done :thumbup:

Only thing I am not sure of is the big compitition hook, but time will tell....

Synthetic rope can be attached to the drum with gaffer tape, stick a couple of feet onto the rope and wind on, just don't wind it all off in use, but you should always leave 5/6 turns on the drum anyway. :thumbup:

Back